twenty-four: resurfacing pasts

▂▂▂▂▂ act one , chapter twenty-four
RESURFACING PASTS
Nanda Parbat , 1960 ▂▂▂▂▂

▂▂▂▂▂ act one , chapter twenty-fourRESURFACING PASTSNanda Parbat , 1960 ▂▂▂▂▂

❝we kind of owe it to him to try.❞

AFTER AN UNFORTUNATE series of events, which included deducting that Sara had returned to her roots and gone back to the League of Assassins — only sixty years prior to when she originally did so — the team unsuccessfully infiltrating Nanda Parbat in search of the blond, leading to them being shackled inside of a prison that looked like it was pulled straight from an Indiana Jones movie, having to endure probably the most awkward conversations of their lives between Ray and Kendra, the team was currently standing before Ra's al Ghul himself, and Rip was proposing a trail of some kind.

According to Rip, Sara, and even Ray and Kendra, they were affected by time drift, where a person loses parts of their former self while being in an alien time period for too long. Sara was suffering from it extremely, acting as though the League here in 1960 was her true home, so much to the point where she had been the one to put the team in Nanda Parbat's prison with the threat of being executed.

Rip supposedly had devised a plan to save them from execution — which apparently happened to all Nanda Parbat's trespassers. Elle was ninety percent sure Rip's idea included fighting, which didn't instill too much confidence in the teenager. The captain certainly was no League-trained fighter, particularly against a man who has spent the entirety of his over a hundred-year lifespan learning and teaching how to fight.

So, the team had all that going for them. It's been a great time, really.

The multitude of candles and torches lining the rock-ridden room lit Elle's face with a faint glow of sunset orange. Her wrists were becoming extensively tender as the thick, rusted cuffs around them kept scraping at her fragile skin. Elle was locked in the shackles between Jefferson and Ray. Rip, Kendra, and Stein were to the billionaire's left. The Professor was the furthest away from the twenty-year-old because Sara had ordered that the two could not be in close proximity to each other — she had also taken Ray's A.T.O.M. suit as well as Rip and Elle's revolvers and noted not to let the Anders girl out of sight.

"Mr. Hunter," the man Elle had learned was Ra's al Ghul greeted the Englishmen as he walked towards the six prisoners from his spot next to what Ray had called a 'life-extending jacuzzi' with his hands behind his back. Honestly, to Elle, he didn't look all that threatening — he appeared to be a man, maybe in his early forties, with a buzz cut. There wasn't anything threatening about that, right? But behind it all, Elle knew there was a stone-cold man with a talent for manipulation and extreme combat.

"Captain," Rip corrected straightforwardly, "as a point of fact."

"Right." Ra's al Ghul nodded, uncaring. "Well, I do hope your request for an audience is not an attempt to justify your trespass here."