eleven: the soviet union sucks

▂▂▂▂▂ act one , chapter eleven
THE SOVIET UNION SUCKS
The Soviet Union , 1986 ▂▂▂▂▂

▂▂▂▂▂ act one , chapter eleven THE SOVIET UNION SUCKSThe Soviet Union , 1986 ▂▂▂▂▂

❝if i catch you eavesdropping... again, i'll turn you into a human ice cube.❞

"UH, QUESTION. ON a scale of one to ten, how royally screwed is the United States — no, wait, how royally screwed is the rest of the world if the Soviets make a Firestorm?"

"On a scale of one to ten?" The Professor looked back towards the eighteen-year-old at her inquiry, receiving a nod. "It would be cataclysmic."

"Oh." That surely didn't ease any of Elle's worries.

After it was realized what the Soviet's intentions were, Stein and Elle began to venture further into the lab to see if they could discover anything more. All Elle wanted to do was get back to the safety of the Waverider — her bed sounded quite comfortable right now, but she knew she couldn't rest not until this Soviet Firestorm was taken care of. Their footsteps echoed off the walls, causing too much noise for Elle's liking; she feared someone would hear them. She was hardly paying attention to where the two were going, letting Stein lead the way — the teenager only paid attention when her face illuminated with an orange glow.

Elle looked ahead of her and Stein to see a huge vat where the light was sprouting from, leaking through the many windows. "What is that?"

"A thermal core," the Professor answered, startled. "They've already built one."

"Professor, need I remind you, this is a reconnaissance mission," Rip emphasized. "Elle, listen to me. Do not let him do anything rash."

"It's only a matter of time before Vostok figures out how to stabilize a Soviet Firestorm," said the Professor, not seeming to hear anything the captain was saying. "I'm not leaving without it."

The certainty in the elder's voice had Elle jumping to stand in front of him, one hand outstretched in hopes of stopping him. "Professor, you heard Rip. No incidents, remember?"

Stein glanced at the girl. "It's the key to building others just like me. We cannot let Vostok have it."

"And I can't let you go in there," refuted Elle, stepping back when Stein did forward.

"You both need to wait for the rest of the team. They're on their way," advised Rip.

"Are either of you familiar with ultra-high-energy cosmic rays? The radiation released inside this chamber will kill everyone other than me."