ten: how you care

▂▂▂▂▂ act one , chapter ten
HOW YOU CARE
The Soviet Union , 1986 ▂▂▂▂▂

▂▂▂▂▂ act one , chapter ten HOW YOU CAREThe Soviet Union , 1986 ▂▂▂▂▂

❝it's nice to have a friend.❞

JEFFERSON WAS PANTING right into Elle's left ear, but it reassured the girl because it meant that, while his breath may be heavy, it wasn't slow, which was a good thing... she thought. The twenty-year-old was alive at least. As they had made it back to the Waverider, Rory and Elle assisting Jefferson all the way back to the time ship. Rip had moved ahead of them, so it gave him the chance to be caught up with Snart and Ray; however, their conversation came to a halt when the four came slowly onto the bridge with the injured Jackson boy.

"What happened to him?" Ray asked, his brows pinching together in concern.

"Chronos," was Rip's simple explanation.

Rory looked to the boy, easing away from him. "Jax here was—"

"Almost got himself killed," Stein reprimanded, distaste on his tongue.

"And we need to get you to the MedBay," Rip coaxed, looking dolefully to Jefferson and taking the place of Rory as Elle stayed in her position, unwilling to release Jefferson until he was safe in the MedBay.

As Snart made his way out of the bridge, Rip and Elle, with Jefferson in the middle, gradually followed his actions, Elle dismissing the stupid comment Rory made about morphine, glancing up at Jefferson gently. "Come on, let's just take it slow."

"Don't bother telling him what to do; he'll just do the opposite." Stein's aggrieved words weren't a jab towards the Anders girl — they were directed towards his other half, and his words did have the boy directing all three to a stop and turning towards the older man.

"Oh, yeah, it would be my fault that I got hurt, because I didn't listen to you and your infinite wisdom. I am sorry, professor," he threw back, Elle swallowing the lump in her throat when Jax shrugged off her and Rip's hold.

"Exactly," Stein retorted directly. "It seems this... partnership of ours has become untenable."

"Partnership?" Jefferson repeated, bewildered at the word usage. "No, this is a dictatorship, one in which you get to call all the shots, and I get to take all the shots."

"Do you think I like seeing you hurt?"

"Don't act like you actually care about me, man. I'm just a life-support system. I didn't even want to come on this stupid trip. You kidnapped me," Jefferson recalled, taking a couple of steps forward, his hand still holding the cloth preventing him from bleeding out.