03

"𝘼 𝙛𝙖𝙞𝙩𝙝𝙛𝙪𝙡 𝙛𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙙 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚𝙨 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙩𝙤 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙚𝙣𝙙."

•

"𝔓𝔢𝔫𝔡𝔦𝔫𝔤 the thanksgiving holiday coming up, university of Michigan will be 100% closed down. All students and stuff must exit the building by Wednesday 8:00pm or will be charged for trespassing. We do not care where you decide to go over break but students are no longer permitted to stay on campus during any holiday."

The announcements said over the intercom.

Bryshere sucked his teeth, "Man why we gotta leave? Fuck happened?" He spoke out loud to the team in the locker room.

"People like to use they dorms as a party when it's no staff on campus so that's what y'all get." Their coach told the boy.

"Whatever." Bryshere got up sliding into the rest of his practice clothes.

"Anybody seen Gabriel? We wanna see if he's better today to do his back up plays." Coach asked the men.

Mostly everyone's head shook no, no one had heard from him. Gabriel was on the JV football team but he mostly practiced with Varsity as he was bought to the team to replace Bryshere once he graduated in a year.

"Man we aight without the dude, let's get practicing." Bryshere tried to take the spotlight off of Gabriel.

"You graduating soon, son. He's next up behind you. You gotta let him have the spotlight, sometimes." Coach snickered, "Somebody seems a little jealous of the kid."

Bryshere's face turned up, "Jealous for what? Everybody know I'm the best on this team. Fuck ima be jealous of a lil ass boy for?" He was offended.

"Yeah aight, turn that shit down with me and use it on the field." Coach stood chest to chest with Bryshere.

"Aight, coach... my fault." He blew his breath.

Bryshere was annoyed about having to go home over the holiday. He hated home. He loved his siblings, he was like their actual father but their actual father was the worst. He's like a slavemaster in 2023.

"You good brah?" One of Bryshere's close friends; Dave asked.

"Yeah, why you ask?" Bryshere looked at him, leaning against the lockers.

Dave sucked his teeth and just looked at Bryshere.

Dave was one of the only people that knew Bryshere's living situation and how toxic the environment was.

He knew Bryshere's deepest secrets. They'd grown up together and Dave's home was always a comfort home for Bryshere after the many forms of abuse he had to endure at home.