Dating the Son of Zeus *6*

Start from the beginning

"Yeah definitely," agreed Perseus.

"Where do you know her from?" Penelop said trying to stay on topic.

"I met her today in the library, during advisory." I said looking back towards Sophia.

Suddenly the teacher walked into the class room, silencing any other questions Penelope was going to ask me. The teacher was a younger woman. She was shorter, and her petite form made her look almost like another high school student. Her blonde locks bounced as she walked towards the front of the room. Grabbing a folder and flipping it open she began to call attendance. Listening to her call Sophia's name caught my attention.

"Sophia Kakos?"

"Here," Sophia said.

"Sophia Kakos," I whispered to myself. It rolled right off my tounge. I loved the way it sounded. I was brought from my thoughts by the teacher talking in my general direction.

"I see we have some new students joining us today. Why don't you go ahead and introduce yourselves," she said giving us a kind smile. I looked from Penelope to Perseus, to Leonidas and back. It was no surprise that Penelope was the first to speak.

"I am Penelope Marlow, and these are my brothers. Percy, Leon, and Hayden. We just moved here from California." Penelope said doing her best to sound convincing, which she didn't need to try hard.

"All of you are siblings?" asked the teacher, who looked at each of us.

"Not by blood," Penelope said. "We are actually foster children. We were adopted by Mr. Marlow a few weeks ago."

"I've heard of him," said a young girl just a few seats down from Sophia. "Isn't he a lawyer?"

"Yes, he is." said Penelope.

"Well it is a pleasure to have you all join our class. We were just going to continue our lesson from yesterday. You see in this class we are going to talk about each of the 'major," she put air quotes around it, "gods in this class and then at the end you pick one of your liking and do a project over them. The one we were talking about yesterday just happened to be Hermes."

All four of us groaned and it was audible. A few of our classmates turned to look at us with questioning glances.

"Seriously?!" asked Perseus in a hushed whisper. "Like we don't get enough of his ego back home?"

"Zeus, strike me down now please," begged Leonidas.

Even I was regretting this lesson already. Hermes' ego was big enough and he had to flaunt it in everyone's face back home, though I never understood why. It wasn't as if he really had a reason to have such a cocky attitude. The last thing any of us wanted to do was to hear about it here. I was just getting ready to attempt to fall asleep when a pair of piercing blue eyes caught mine. It was Sophia. She was staring at me with a look that I couldn't quite describe. It almost looked like....pity, or understanding. I didn't know why though. As soon as the looked crossed her face, however, it was gone. And she turned to take notes as the teaher lectured.

It wasn't long before the class was over. As the bell rang our teacher yelled out, "Okay well that's it on Hermes."

"Thank Zeus," Leonidas said.

"Next time we will talk about Ares so be ready."

"WHAT?!" said Leonidas. "I think I may be sick that day." 

As we were walking out the door the teacher caught us. "Excuse me, Hayden, Penelope. Could the four of you wait just a moment?" We made our way over towards her. "So you guys have kinda missed out on a lot. I know that it's not your fault," she said quickly. "It's just that I don't want you to be behind. So if you would like to do some extra tutoring..."

"I think we'll be ok," said Perseus quickly.

"Yeah, we took this class already at our old school," Penelope said.

"Really? Well then why are you taking it again?"

"We just liked it so much," said Leonidas with a sickly sweet smile.

"Well ok then. Well if you need any help you can ask myself, or any of the other students. Sophia, for example," she pointed behind us to Sophia who was busy stuffing the rest of her books and papers in her back pack, "is one of the top students in the class. I'm sure she would be more than happy to help you catch up if you find you need it. Isn't that right Sophia?"

"Uh, sure. Anything you need Mrs. P." she said giving the teacher that dazzling smile.

"Ok well that was all I needed. Go ahead and let me know if you need anything."

We turned to walk away but I instead found my self saying, "You guys go ahead, I'll catch up."

They gave me a wary glance, but nodded and headed out the door. I turned and walked to Sophia. I stopped just inches away from her. Being this close to her I could smell the honeysuckle perfume she used. It was intoxicating, in a good way. I found myself giving her a goofy smile.

"Hey," I said.

"Hi." she said looking up at me. She was quite a bit shorter than me, only coming up to my shoulders. I looked down into her eyes and was tempted to really let myself get lost. The combination of her eyes and her scent was enough to leave me feeling like I was floating. I knew I had a dreamy look on my face, I could feel it, but I couldn't make it go away. She stood there, staring up at me as well. And if I wasn't dreaming, I could swear she had the same look on her face. The only difference was that she pulled her self out of it.

"So what did you think of the class?" she said resuming putting her stuff back in her bag.

"It was good."

"Yeah I really enjoy it. I--" just then she knocked a book off of the table. "Oops," she said bending to get it.

"Oh here, let me get it," I said stooping to grab it.

We both reached for the book, and as we did, our figertips brushed against each other. The touch was so insignificant, and couldn't have lasted more than a moment, but what happened was incredible. It felt as if I was zapped with electricity. As if my father had struck me with one of his lightening bolts. My head snapped up and I locked eyes with her. I knew instantly that she felt it too. My skin was tingling all over. My heart was racing, I was sure that she could hear it too. I don't know how long we were like that, crouched over the book, looking at each other. Hearing the sound of people yelling in the hallway broke us out of our trance.

"Well," she said, once again being the one who broke the silence, "I guess I'll see you tomorrow. Bye." And with that I watched her walk out the door, leaving behind her the smell of honeysuckle. Breathing deep I shook my head. 'What on earth is going on?' I asked myself.