Psychological warfare

-REY!" Loudly called out a man while waving his arms high up as Reynold immediately got swept up by his friends from the Ashburn settlement.

Feeling a small smile started to cramp up on my face as I saw the bunch of villagers cheerfully talk to one another, getting past their sorrow and pain if only for a short time.

Although I had hoped to eventually lead them back to and help them rebuild their village, their mention of a "flying, horned figure" had completely derailed my plans.
Although most other members of our organization had dismissed those claims as a simple hallucination caused by the stress and anxiety, I knew that there was a very real possibility of this figure being an agent of the Vritra.

The only issue was that I had no idea why Agrona would send one of his Scythe or Retainer to burn down a random village in the border regions of Sapin. It both wasn't very discreet considering the amount of survivors and the crater left behind, but it also wasn't an effective warning.

If Agrona had wanted to publicly threaten the kingdoms he would have burned down a large city and made an ultimatum about being subjugated or being exterminated or whatever evil torture he could think of.

My best guess is that the attack on Ashburn was either collateral damage from a bigger fight between Vritras or with Asuras, or that it is some kind of faint to distract me from more important operations.

It could also be an attempt at physiological warfare against Arthur, but this much would require them to know off and have a reason to fight against Art, which I doubt they have.

Either Way I'd need to ask Reynold if he'd agree to help us rebuild Ashburn, which, depending on how on board he is, could extend from giving intel about the local monsters, bandits and road, to directly leading the villagers back.

I could maybe even turn this into a way of spending time with Art if I managed to publish an escort mission to the guild and get the Twin Horns to come joi-

*BAAAAM*

Losing balance as the cave violently shook it took me a second to see the gigantic hole that had appeared in the ceiling of the refuge quarters and an additional second to notice the dozens of figures jumping down from there.

Focusing on the intruders I immediately recognized their green and brown uniforms with long silver trims and floral pattern on their sleeveless, it was the Elenoir special force's uniform.

But it was impossible, Elenoir had no reasons to attack Unity, dad had no reasons to send the special forces after me.

Hesitating for a second as the doubt took hold of my body, I tried to stop and think logically about it. I was convinced that there was a much easier solution to the problem, but I didn't have time to reflect about the situation as I saw one of our guards jump to attack the enemy, only to have his arm chopped off before he could react.

Leaping at the intruder from the entrance of the tunnel, I didn't give him the luxury of seeing what hit him as I kicked his head with my reinforced right leg using a combination of body strengthening, metal and gravity magic to create the strongest impact I could.

Seeing the man's head fly off, I barely had time to process what had happened that two other intruders took a defensive stance and fired a volley of wind bullets at me forcing me to jump to the side to dodge.

-Unity detected in sector D4!" Shouted one of them in an unbelievably loud voice as I realized that he was using sound magic to amplify their voice. "All unit converge to D4"

Letting out an annoyed *tsk* I realized that I was the main target of this operation, which meant that, as long as I stayed away from the refugees and other members of my organization the intruders wouldn't go out of their way to hurt them.