Unity

Tessia Eralith

-Do it in the middle of the warehouse, I trust you to be even worse than usual." Said a feminine voice coming from the inside that seemed to be the boss of those slave traders.

Resisting the urge to dash in, cut those bastards in a million pieces and burn whatever remained after, I knew that I had to wait to get more information.

-Bring every one of them to the center and force them to watch, especially the young ones." She added in a strict yet detached tone as if she didn't see how cruel and disgusting her actions were.

Spreading my sound magic a bit more, I heard a series of footsteps, with one going upward and two deeper in the building where I had already identified a dozen other people.

Waiting for what I assumed to be the female to get back to the higher floor, I slide in the building by the unlocked double door.

Arriving in the somewhat well decorated first room, my face turned pale and eyes widened in shock as I noticed the countless rows of dozens of cages each stacked on each other and cramped with dozens of Elves and Dwarves.

All the slaves were either naked or wearing almost nothing, covered in bruises and scars, some with missing fingers or eyes and all with a distraught, hopeless expression.

Looking at them I was brought back to the last mission I had done in my past life where we had freed an Elven concentration camp.

The despair, the moans of agony, the dead bodies slowly rotting in a corner, the people cramped against each other like they were worse than animals.

Feeling a wave of pure anger, hatred at those traders at the ones who treated others like pons and merchandise they could use and sell, I took a step forward while gathering gusts of wind around myself.

Stepping forward in a fury, through the large door frame leading to the second room where all the slaves were placed, I narrowed my eyes on the slave trader in the center of the room.

Raising my arm to shoot a blade of wind without even thinking about what I was doing I aimed for his chest and prepared to fire.

This was the right thing to do, the only thing those bastards deserved, I'll get rid of all three of those traders and save everyone here I'll-

"You leave us to go on your own solo crusade and you ask how this happened?!" I heard Darvus's voice shout at me as the scene of our last meeting flashed in my head.

Caria's mangled leg, Stannards's empty expression as he looked away from, Darvus's hateful eyes as he glared at me.

They were all my friends, my teammates, people I had sworn to protect, only to give up on them in the middle of battle while they needed me the most.

Caria had lost her leg because of me, because I threw myself at the enemy at the first Elven death without thinking about anyone else.

So many were injured, lost arms, legs, friends and family because I broke the line, because I followed my rage and didn't think about the consequences.

How many more would have survived if I had stuck to the plan? If I had just acted for the good of everyone instead of acting on my own?

Flinching back as I was called back to reality by the loud sound of the poor dwarf girl being thrown on the ground, I felt my body start to tremble.

I shouldn't be here. I told myself as my arm slowly fell back down. I should just follow the plan I had made. I would save so many more people this way, I- I.