Hidden progress

Virion Eralith

-Shouldn't you be asleep, little one?" I pointed out as my 5-year-old granddaughter jolted around from her chair and landed her panicked and frightened eyes on me as she screamed out a small yap.

It was only natural for her to be afraid, both because I had entered the room without making a sound and because she knew she should be in bed by now.

Glancing over her terrified face to her desk I spotted two drawings, an arrow and a group of circles covered in layers of big bright colors and covered in weird symbols that vaguely resemble letters.

-And what are you making?" I asked while leaning over and scratching my chin, trying to figure out what any of this meant.

-Uh- its a- uhm, secret!" Shouted Tessia as she waved her hand in a panic before throwing herself on the work to try and hide it as best she could.

Although the little one used to often wake up at night, mostly due to nightmares related to her fear of others and loneliness, the nearby servants would notice the shouts or cry and immediately come to comfort her, this instant seemed rather different.

Not only because those nightmares had completely stopped since she had come back to the castle with the little Lewin boy, which everyone in the castle was rather grateful for, but also because she had clearly taken careful and considerate steps to hide her activities.

-You seem very lively for someone who asked to go to bed early." I pointed out in a strict tone as I saw her face switch back and forth between anxiety and guilt every time her eye would stare between my face and her drawings.

-I- I woke up and couldn't sleep, s-so I started drawing." She explained in a rather straightforward manner indicating that it was rather unlikely for her to be lying since, much like her father when he was a child, she would have hesitated much longer and had stuttered quite a bit more.

-That doesn't change the fact that you should have called a servant over when you woke up." I scolded in a harsh tone while disapprovingly shaking my head, already preparing my next argument to rebut whatever point she would try to make to pull herself out of trouble.

-I -I'm sorry..." She let out in a low guilty tone as she sat back properly and looked at the ground with the expression of a sad puppy.

Slightly taken aback by her sudden cooperativeness, I reformulated the speech I had prepared in my head as I led her back to her bed before going on a spill about the importance of following rules and having a good sleeping schedule.

Feeling like the message had been successfully passed down to her, I decided to not continue my rent any longer as I stood up before carefully moving her blanket back up to cover her fragile body while giving her a last warning and wishing her good night.

-Have sweet dreams too grandpa..." She let out a weak adorable voice before turning away from the door.

Walking away from the room before closing it behind me, I sighed heavily in lament and regrets.

Despite my strict, impassible attitude I did not feel any anger or took any pleasure in tormenting the poor girl. Scolding her was probably hurting me as much as it hurt her since it was a full display of both me and her parent's educational failure.

Tonight's encounter, much like how she avoided talking about her own feelings or how she barely ever went out of her way to see any of us or how she openly defied certain order were symptoms all pointing toward the growing trust issue between us adults and her.

"At least she was opening up to the little Arthur." I repeated myself once again in a sentence that sounded more and more like a consolation prize than an actual talking point.