Desperately lucky day

{Hannadreda ???????}

-Damn it." I spat out with frustration as I leaned back against a stone wall in a dark alley.

"All of this happened because they wouldn't understand my genius" I thought to myself as I clenched my teeth and fist while glaring at the ground intently.

"I had been working for Unity for months and that's how they treated me after I tried to help?" I complained to myself as the boss's words flashed through my mind.

"You are too rash and stubborn." She said while looking down at me," levelheaded people" she added with a disappointed glare, "people's lives are at stake" She reminded me like I wasn't aware of it. ...

"people's lives are at stake" I heard her voice repeat as I looked to the side with a guilty expression.

I just wanted to help them, but I ended up being a burden to the whole group... I almost got killed for nothing.

-Ahhhh, f*ck it." I let out in an annoyed tone as I let my back slide down against the wall until I found myself sitting on the ground.

I knew that we were trying to save people's lives, that's why I wanted to help in the first place. In those cages there were dozens of people who had lost everything like me and had no hope, but to rely on Unity to save them.

I wanted to assist the group however I could, to save more people, or at least do it faster.

"Then you would have seen why sorting medical supplies would have been a better use of your time." I heard Unity's voice repeat in my mind as I let out an annoyed *tsk*

I knew she was right; she was always right, but it was hard to accept.

Part of me still wanted to retort that it wasn't that big of a deal since I was the only one, but the other knew that it wasn't much of an excuse. I knew that planning and discipline were most of the battle, that a good fighter with a bad plan wasn't worth more than a novice.

Not only would they put themselves in danger and cause unforeseen issues, but that this single rash choice could very easily domino into a tsunami of issues down the line, even beyond the current mission.

A dead or gravely injured warrior was one less soldier for the organization, increasing the risk for the others.

Bringing my legs against my torso while placing my arms on top before hiding my head between each arm I stared at nothing while feeling the cold winter wind brush my hair and slide against my cheek.

-What do I do now?" I lamented in a pitiful tone, understanding that I was completely lost in the middle of a countryside human city.

Not only would I stick out like a sore thumb from my jet-black uniform with the Unity logo sewed onto it, but the fact that I was both a dwarf and a girl were sure to bring even more attention to myself.

I could try to ask for help, but the guards were sure to arrest me within 0.5seconds of seeing me and the general population wouldn't be much better as I had no idea how they would react.

"What would I ask for anyway?" I rhetorically wondered, knowing that, beyond basic necessities like food or clothes, I had nowhere to go, no family waiting for me back in Darv.

Although the idea of threatening people to get what I wanted did cross my mind, I simply couldn't lower myself to that level. I was still much better than those bandits and arrogant nobles.

Letting out a long sigh as I looked up at the late-night sky and seeing the stars start to slowly fade, replaced by light of the sun, I knew it was better to choose and act now rather than later.