Nothing to see here

Looking at the small sapling I had just conjured, I felt my eye almost glue onto it as my mind blacked out completely.

I stood there in utter and complete dumbfoundedness as I felt the knowledge acquired during my decade of learning and studying magic being thrown out of the window into a gigantic fiery chasm with razor sharp blade waiting at the end, ready to impale any sense of logic I had developed.

-Wha- Did you- Is this your doing Tess?" Managed to finally utter Arthur, who was visibly as confused as I was over what the hell just happened.

-I uhm... I think?" I let out in a confused tone as I started to question my sanity more and more while still having eyes locked on the small sprout, as if menacingly glaring at it would give some answers.

-But you'r- you're not a mage." He said in a tone that made it almost impossible for me to distinguish whether he was making a statement or asking me to confirm it.

-No I, I don't have a mana core." I explained as much as Art then to myself as I desperately tried to rationalize the situation.

Maybe an elven mage was playing a trick on us? I told myself as I jerked my head around to try and spot any potential 3rd party hiding in the trees tops or in the garden's flower bed.

Maybe this is a complete coincidence? Those roots and branches just grew there, on their own, in about 2 seconds. I frantically argued, conscientiously ignoring that I had already tried and succeeded at using that power once again. Which I can't be ignoring anymore since I just thought about it!

Aaaah! Why is this happening now?! That's going to blow my cover for something I wasn't even aware I could do! Damn it all! I mentally screamed as I started to pull my hair in frustration.

-Hye, Tessia." Called out Arthur in an assertive tone I didn't know he was capable of yet, as I suddenly focused back on him. "Come here." He said, while gesturing me to sit on the bench next to him.

Completely lost on what to do, I obediently followed his command as I was already mentally preparing myself for, for... for anything really. I had no idea what I had gotten myself into and much less how to pull myself out of this mess.

Suddenly feeling a pressure on my back, my eyes jolted open I jerked my head around, only to realize that Art had placed his hands on my back.

-Tess, I'm going to need you to pretend like I'm not here and try to do whatever you did once more, okay?" He asked in a gentle comforting tone, entertaining the idea that this whole situation might not end catastrophically.

Closing my eyes, I followed Art's request and started pulling mana out of God knows where and imagined a long and thin tree branch curving up into a circle at the end.

By the time I reopened my eyes, the exact branch I had pictured had just grown on the tree two meters away from me, not just the general shape, but every single minute detail of it, from the color to the pattern and even the imperfections were there.

-That's... unusual." Let out Art in a troubled, puzzled and somewhat curious tone as I could almost hear him scratch his chin.

-Di-did you see something bad?" I asked in half terrified, half stressed out and definitively childish tone.

-Well, you know how mages pull mana from the atmosphere to refine it in their core before using it for spells?" Asked Art, half lost in thoughts, visibly unaware that a normal 5-year-old wouldn't have understood a word of what he just said.

-Y-yes." I said, trying to emphasize the fear in my voice "Grampa told me about it."

-Well, you're just completely skipping the middle part." Matter of factly explained Art in a calm and yet, somewhat amazed voice. "You pull mana from the atmosphere to yourself via your mana channels and immediately use it for your spell."