The Snake

A week later Harry, Draco, Ron, and Hermione walk across the entrance hall, finding a small group of people gathered around the notice board. Seamus and Dean beckon them over, looking excited "They're starting a Dueling Club! First meeting tonight! I wouldn't mind dueling lessons; they might come in handy one of these days..." Seamus tells them. "What, you reckon Slytherin's monster can duel?" Ron asks as he reads the sign with interest. "Could be useful, shall we go?" Draco asks. Harry and Hermione nod in agreement as Ron hums, still reading the sign "It doesn't say who it's with." he tells them. "I guess we'll find out tonight." Harry tells him.

That evening, everyone gathers in the Great Hall where a golden stage has been placed "I wonder who'll be teaching us? Someone told me Flitwick was a dueling champion when he was young, maybe it'll be him." Hermione suggests. "As long as it's not..." Harry begins, ending in a groan as Lockhart walks onto the stage with Snape. Lockhart waves an arm for silence "Gather round, gather round! Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent! Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little dueling club, to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions—for full details, see my published works. Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape. He tells me he knows a tiny little bit about dueling himself and has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry—you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear!" he tells everyone. "Wouldn't it be good if they finished each other off?" Ron mutters in Harry's ear. Smiling, Harry nods before looking over to the doors to see his parents stood there watching everything. James sends a wink to him, Harry grinning before turning back to the stage.

Lockhart and Snape bow at each other before raising their wands "As you see, we are holding our wands in the accepted combative position. On the count of three, we will cast our first spells. Neither of us will be aiming to kill, of course." Lockhart tells them. "I wouldn't bet on that." Harry tells Draco and Ron, watching Snape baring his teeth. "One—two—three—" Lockhart counts. "Expelliarmus!" Snape exclaims, a jet of scarlet light blasting Lockhart back and off his feet. Many people laugh, Harry seeing his Dad cover his mouth to stifle his own laugh as Lily hits his arm. Hermione gets on tiptoes "Do you think he's all right?" she squeals, trying to see Lockhart. "Who cares?" Harry, Draco and Ron tell her. Lockhart gets unsteadily to his feet, his hat gone and his wavy hair standing on end "Well, there you have it! That was a Disarming Charm—as you see, I've lost my wand—ah, thank you, Miss Brown—yes, an excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind my saying so, it was very obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you it would have been only too easy—however, I felt it would be instructive to let them see... Enough demonstrating! I'm going to come amongst you now and put you all into pairs. Professor Snape, if you'd like to help me." Lockhart says, he and Snape beginning to team people up

Snape walks over to the quartet "Time to split up the dream team, I think. Weasley, you can partner Finnigan. Potter-" he starts. Harry moves automatically towards Draco and Hermione "I don't think so. Mr Nott, come over here. Let's see what you make of the famous Potter. Mr Malloy, you can partner with Zabini. And you, Miss Granger, you can partner Miss Bulstrode." Snape tells them. "Face your partners! And bow!" Lockhart tells everyone. Harry and Nott barely incline their heads, not taking their eyes off each other "Wands at the ready! When I count to three, cast your charms to disarm your opponents—only to disarm them—we don't want any accidents—one... two... three—" Lockhart continues. Harry swings his wand but is caught off guard as Nott starts on 'two', making him feel like he'd been hit over the head with a saucepan. Harry stumbles slightly, pointing his wand straight at Nott "Rictusempra!" he shouts. A jet of silver light hits Nott in the stomach, making him double up wheezing. "I said disarm only!" Lockhart shouts in alarm. "Tarantallegra!" Nott wheezes out over his laughter. A second latter Harry's legs begin to jerk around. "Stop! Stop!" Lockhart shouts. Lily rolls her eyes "Finite Incantatem!" she shouts, harry feet stopping as Nott stops laughing.

Looking round, Harry sees; Neville and Justin lying on the floor, panting; Ron holding up an ashen faced Seamus, apologizing for whatever he had done; Draco sporting a bleeding nose, Zabini a busted lip; but Hermione and Millicent Bulstrode were still moving; Millicent having Hermione in a headlock and Hermione was whimpering in pain; both their wands lay forgotten on the floor. Harry leaps forward and pulls Millicent off with Draco's help, Hermione rubbing her neck slightly "Dear, dear. Up you go, Macmillan... Careful there, Miss Fawcett... Pinch it hard, it'll stop bleeding in a second, Boot... I think I'd better teach you how to block unfriendly spells. Let's have a volunteer pair—Longbottom and Finch-Fletchley, how about you—" Lockhart starts. "A bad idea, Professor Lockhart. Longbottom causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending what's left of Finch-Fletchley up to the hospital wing in a matchbox. How about Nott and Potter?" Snape suggests with a twisted smile "Excellent idea!" Lockhart smiles, gesturing Harry and Nott into the middle of the hall as the crowd backed away to give them room. "Now, Harry. When Theodore points his wand at you, you do this." Lockhart tells Harry. He raises his own wand, attempting a complicated sort of wiggling action and dropping it "Whoops, my wand is a little overexcited." he smiles, picking up the wand.

Snape moves closer to Nott, whispering something in his ear. Nott smirks slightly, Harry looking up nervously at Lockhart "Professor, could you show me that blocking thing again?" he asks. "Scared?" Nott asks quietly, so that Lockhart can't hear him. "You wish." Harry responds out of the corner of his mouth. "Just do what I did, Harry!" Lockhart smiles, putting a hand on Harry's shoulder. "What, drop my wand?" Harry asks, Lockhart not listening. Harry looks over to see his parents, James showing him a motion with his wand. Harry watches and copies with his own wand, James nodding with a reassuring smile. "Three—two—one—go!" Lockhart shouts. Nott raises his wand quickly "Serpensortia!" he shouts. The end of Nott's wand explodes, a long black snake shooting out of it and falling heavily onto the floor between them. It raises itself ready to strike as people scream "Don't move, Potter, I'll get rid of it..." Snape tells Harry, clearing enjoying himself. "Allow me!" Lockhart smiles, brandishing his wand. There's a loud bang, the snake flying ten feet into the air and falling back to the floor with a loud smack. The snake hisses furiously, slithering straight toward Justin Finch-Fletchley and raising itself again with its fangs exposed.

Harry steps forward "Leave him alone!" he shouts at the snake. The snake stops and looks at him, Harry's fear draining from him as the snake backs up. Looking up, Harry sees Justin looking at him angry and scared "What do you think you're playing at?" he shouts. Before Harry can say anything, Justin turns and storms out of the hall.
Snape steps forward and waves his wand, the snake vanishing in a small puff of black smoke as the professor gives Harry a suspicious and confused look. Harry notices everyone muttering, Hermione, Ron and Draco pushing through and pulling Harry out the Great Hall with James and Lily following.