History of Magic

For the next few days everyone in the school was talking of little else other than the attack on Mrs. Norris, Filch kept it fresh in everyone's minds by pacing the spot where she had been attacked. The four friends had seen him scrubbing the message on the wall, the words still gleamed as brightly as ever on the stone. When Filch wasn't guarding the scene of the crime, he was going round the school with his eyes red and lunging out at unsuspecting students and trying to put them in detention for things like 'breathing loudly' and 'looking happy'. Ginny was one of the most upset people, Ron telling the others that she's a great cat lover "But you haven't really got to know Mrs. Norris. Honestly, we're much better off without her. Stuff like this doesn't often happen at Hogwarts. They'll catch the maniac who did it and have him out of here in no time. I just hope he's got time to Petrify Filch before he's expelled. I'm only joking-" Ron says as Ginny's lip trembles. Hermione decided to drag the boys to the library every chance she got, not telling them why or what she was doing.

Harry goes to join the others in the library, walking down the corridor and finding Justin who immediately turns and practically runs in the opposite direction. Frowning he shakes his head and continues his way to the library, finding Draco and Ron at the back of the library. Ron sits measuring his History of Magic homework, Professor Binns having asked for a three foot long essay on 'The Medieval Assembly of European Wizards' "I don't believe it, I'm still eight inches short... And Hermione's done four feet seven inches and her writing's tiny." Ron complains. "Where is she?" Harry asks, sitting down and measuring his own essay. "Somewhere over there. Looking for another book. I think she's trying to read the whole library before Christmas." Ron tells him. Harry sighs and tells Ron and Draco about Justin "Dunno why you care. I thought he was a bit of an idiot. All that junk about Lockhart being so great." Ron responds. Hermione emerges from between the bookshelves, looking irritable "All the copies of Hogwarts, A History have been taken out. And there's a two week waiting list. I wish I hadn't left my copy at home, but I couldn't fit it in my trunk with all the Lockhart books." she tells them, sitting down. "Why do you want it?" Draco asks. "The same reason everyone else wants it, to read up on the legend of the Chamber of Secrets." Hermione responds. "What's that?" Harry asks. "That's just it. I can't remember and I can't find the story anywhere else." Hermione explains, biting her lip with a frown. "Hermione, let me read your composition." Ron pleads, looking at his watch. "No, I won't. You've had ten days to finish it." Hermione shakes her head with a smile. "I only need another two inches, come on." Ron begs. Draco shakes his head and chucks his own essay at Ron "Just make it look like you haven't copied it." he tells his friend. "Thanks Scales." Ron smiles.

The four friends walks to History of Magic, sitting in their usual seats together as Professor Binns talks about the International Warlock Convention of 1289. After half hour Hermione puts her hand up "Miss er...?" Binns trails off. "Granger, Professor. I was wondering if you could tell us anything about the Chamber of Secrets?" Hermione asks in a clear voice, everyone perking up in interest. "My subject is History of Magic. I deal with facts, Miss Granger, not myths and legends. In September of that year, a subcommittee of Sardinian sorcerers..." Binns trails off as Hermione's hand goes up again "Miss Grant?" he asks. "Please, sir, don't legends always have a basis in fact?" she asks. "Well, yes, one could argue that, I suppose. However, the legend of which you speak is such a very sensational, even ludicrous tale.." Bonne starts, stopping as he sees every eye on him "Oh, very well." he concedes.

"Let me see... the Chamber of Secrets... You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago, the precise date is uncertain, by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age. The four school Houses are named after them: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. They built this castle together, far from prying Muggle eyes, for it was an age when magic was feared by common people, and witches and wizards suffered much persecution. For a few years, the founders worked in harmony together, seeking out youngsters who showed signs of magic and bringing them to the castle to be educated. But then disagreements sprang up between them. A rift began to grow between Slytherin and the others. Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed that magical learning should be kept within all magic families. He disliked taking students of Muggle parentage, believing them to be untrustworthy. After a while, there was a serious argument on the subject between Slytherin and Gryffindor, and Slytherin left the school. Reliable historical sources tell us this much. But these honest facts have been obscured by the fanciful legend of the Chamber of Secrets. The story goes that Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in the castle, of which the other founders knew nothing. Slytherin, according to the legend, sealed the Chamber of Secrets so that none would be able to open it until his own true heir arrived at the school. The heir alone would be able to unseal the Chamber of Secrets, unleash the horror within, and use it to purge the school of all who were unworthy to study magic. The whole thing is arrant nonsense, of course," he said. "Naturally, the school has been searched for evidence of such a chamber, many times, by the most learned witches and wizards. It does not exist. A tale told to frighten the gullible." Binns explains to the class.

"Sir, what exactly do you mean by the 'horror within' the Chamber?" Hermione asks, putting her hand up. "That is believed to be some sort of monster, which the Heir of Slytherin alone can control. I tell you, the thing does not exist. There is no Chamber and no monster." Binns tells them. "But, sir, if the Chamber can only be opened by Slytherin's true heir, no one else would be able to find it, would they?" Seamus asks. "Nonsense, O'Flaherty If a long succession of Hogwarts headmasters and headmistresses haven't found the thing..." Binns starts. "But, Professor, you'd probably have to use Dark Magic to open it." Parvati pipes up.   "Just because a wizard doesn't use Dark Magic doesn't mean he can't, Miss Pennyfeather. I repeat, if the likes of McGonagall..." Binns tries again. "But maybe you've got to be related to Slytherin, so Dumbledore couldn't..." Dean starts. "That will do. It is a myth! It does not exist! There is not a shred of evidence that Slytherin ever built so much as a secret broom cupboard! I regret telling you such a foolish story! We will return, if you please, to history, to solid, believable, verifiablefact!" Binns cuts him off, starting his lecture again. Draco and Harry look at each other, both having a look of worry on their face.