Detention and Quidditch Practice

Harry and Ron rush down the corridor, running late to potions after forgetting their bags in their dorms "Mr Potter, Mr Weasley, care to tell me why you are running ten minutes late to my lesson?" Snape asks as they rush in. "Sorry Professor, we forgot our stuff in our dorm." Harry explains. Snape glares at them "You'll both be receiving detention, I'll send you a note on when and where it is. Now, get to your seats." he responds, making the two boys go to their seats fuming. "What's put him in such a bad mood?" Harry whispers to Draco. "No idea." Draco responds, just as quietly. The lesson goes on and Harry ends up losing five house points for getting a question wrong, and Neville nearly broke down after Snape picked on his potion for nearly the whole lesson "Why on earth is he in such a mood!?" Ron asks as they head out the dungeons. "Not a clue." Hermione responds. "Who's in a mood?" Lily asks walking over. "Snape, he gave Ron and I defiantly for being ten minutes late...fair enough. But he took five points because I got an answer wrong and he picked on Neville all lesson!" Harry explains. Lily shakes her head "I'll try and get to the bottom of this. Unfortunately I cannot do anything about the detentions because you were late to lesson, the other stuff I'll see to." Lily assures them. "Thank Mum." Harry responds. "Go on, enjoy break before your next lesson." Lily smiles. "Bye." the four friends respond, walking off.

Saturday morning Harry wakes up to Oliver Woodshaking his shoulder "Whassamatter? "Harry asks groggily. "Quidditch practice! Come on!" Oliver tells him. Harry looks out the window "Oliver, it's the crack of dawn." he tells him. "Exactly, it's part of our new training program. Come on, grab your broom, and let's go. None of the other teams have started training yet; we're going to be first off the mark this year." Oliver responds. Harry climbs out of bed and grabs his Quidditch robes out his trunk "Good man. Meet you on the field in fifteen minutes." Oliver smiles, walking out. Harry pulls on his robes and writes a quick note to Draco and Ron, explaining where he is. Grabbing his broom he shoulders it before heading to the common room and out the portrait hole "I heard someone saying your name on the stairs, Harry! Look what I've got here! I've had it developed, I wanted to show you. Will you sign it?" Colin asks eagerly, running down the stairs and catching Harry at the portrait hole. Harry looks at the moving black and white photograph of Lockhart tugging hard on Harry's arm, who was hiding outside of frame.

Lockhart eventually gives up and slumps, panting, against the white edge of the picture. "No. Sorry, Colin. I'm in a hurry, Quidditch practice-" Harry starts. "Oh, wow! Wait for me! I've never watched a Quidditch game before!" Colin exclaims, following Harry. "It'll be really boring," Harry quickly tries, but is ignored by the excited eleven year old. "You were the youngest House player in a hundred years, weren't you, Harry? Weren't you? You must be brilliant. I've never flown. Is it easy? Is that your own broom? Is that the best one there is? I don't really understand Quidditch. Is it true there are four balls? And two of them fly around trying to knock people off their brooms?" Colin asks as he follows Harry. "Yes. They're called Bludgers. There are two Beaters on each team who carry clubs to beat the Bludgers away from their side. Fred and George Weasley are the Gryffindor Beaters." Harry begins to explain. "And what are the other balls for?" Colin asks. "Well, the Quaffle, that's the biggish red one, is the one that scores goals. Three Chasers on each team throw the Quaffle to each other and try and get it through the goal posts at the end of the pitch, they're three long poles with hoops on the end." Harry continues to explain. "And the fourth ball-" Colin engine to ask. "-is the Golden Snitch and it's very small, very fast, and difficult to catch. But that's what the Seeker's got to do, because a game of Quidditch doesn't end until the Snitch has been caught. And whichever team's Seeker gets the Snitch earns his team an extra hundred and fifty points." Harry cuts him off. "And you're the Gryffindor Seeker, aren't you?" Colin asks in awe. "Yes. And there's the Keeper, too. He guards the goal posts. That's it, really." Harry finishes.