Spiders and Myrtle

The four friends leave History of Magic and down the bustling corridors "I always knew Salazar Slytherin was a twisted old loony, but I never knew he started all this pure blood stuff." Ron shakes his head as they head in the direction of the common room. As they walk they pass Colin "Hiya, Harry!" he grins. "Hullo, Colin." Harry responds automatically. "Harry, Harry, a boy in my class has been saying you're-" Colin starts, only to be dragged away by the tide of people "See you, Harry!" he exclaims. "What's a boy in his class saying about you?" Hermione wonders. "That I'm Slytherin's heir, I expect." Harry responds. "People here'll believe anything." Draco soothes. Harry nods with a sigh as they start climbing the staircase "D'you really think there's a Chamber of Secrets?" Ron asks Hermione. "I don't know, McGonagall couldn't cure Mrs. Norris, and that makes me think that whatever attacked her might not be, well, human." Hermione responds as they turn a corner, finding themselves in the corridor that the attack happened. "That's where Filch has been keeping guard." Ron mutters. motioning to the empty chair against the wall.

Harry looks round, seeing the corridor deserted "Can't hurt to have a poke around." Harry says, dropping his bag. The other three nod and do the same, the four of them beginning to search the corridor "Scorch marks! Here and here." Harry pipes up, finding scorch marks at the base of the wall. "Come and look at this! This is funny..." Hermione trails off. Harry and Draco walk over to her at the window opposite the wall, finding a group of spiders fighting to get out through a crack in the window "Have you ever seen spiders act like that?" Hermione asks. "No." Draco responds, Harry shaking his head. "Have you, Ron? Ron?" Harry asks, turning to see Ron standing at a distance "What's up?" he asks. "I don't like spiders."  Ron responds tensely. "I never knew that. You've used spiders in Potions loads of times..." Hermione trails off. " I don't mind them dead, I just don't like the way they move..." Ron mumbles, trailing off as his soulmate lets out a small giggle "It's not funny. If you must know, when I was three, Fred turned my-my teddy bear into a dirty great spider because I broke his toy broomstick... You wouldn't like them either if you'd been holding your bear and suddenly it had too many legs and..." Ron trails off with shudder, Hermione biting her lip and holding his hand.

Harry frowns as looks at the floor "Remember all that water on the floor? Where did that come from? Someone's mopped it up." he says. "It was about here. Level with this door." Draco says, walking over to a door. He looks at the door and stops  "What's the matter?" Harry asks. "Can't go in there. That's a girls toilet." Ron responds, looking at the door. "Oh, Ron, there won't be anyone in there, that's Moaning Myrtle's place. Come on, let's have a look." Hermione says, walking into the bathroom and ignoring the OUT OF ORDER sign. The boys look at each other before following her in, Hermione puts a finger to her lips and goes to the end stall "Hello, Myrtle, how are you?" she asks kindly. The boys follow and see Myrtle floating above the tank of the toilet, picking a spot on her chin "This is a girls bathroom. They're not girls." she says. "No, I just wanted to show them how er, nice it is in here." Hermione says, gesturing to the wet and filthy bathroom. "Ask her if she saw anything." Harry mouths. "What are you whispering?" Myrtle asks, looking at Harry. "Nothing. We wanted to ask-" Harry starts. "I wish people would stop talking behind my back! I do have feelings, you know, even if I am dead." Myrtle says in a choked up voice, tears in her eyes.

"Myrtle, no one wants to upset you. Harry only-" Hermione tries. "No one wants to upset me! That's a good one! My life was nothing but misery at this place and now people come along ruining my death!" Myrtle interrupts. "We wanted to ask you if you've seen anything funny lately. Because a cat was attacked right outside your front door on Halloween." Hermione explains. "Did you see anyone near here that night?" Harry asks. "I wasn't paying attention, Peeves upset me so much I came in here and tried to kill myself. Then, of course, I remembered that I'm—that I'm..." Myrtle says upset. "Already dead." Ron finishes. Myrtle gives a son and rises into the air, diving head first into the toilet. The three boys open their mouths in shock "Honestly, that was almost cheerful for Myrtle... Come on, let's go." Hermione tells them with a shrug, heading towards the door.

The four friends walk out the bathroom, suddenly being ambushed "RON!" Percy exclaim, stopping on the stairs with a look of shock on his face. Harry and Draco share a look, knowing where this is heading "That's a girls bathroom! What were you-?" Percy starts. "Just having a look around. Clues, you know." Ron shrugs. Percy storms over "Get away from there. Don't you care what this looks like? Coming back here while everyone's at dinner?" he asks, motioning them away. "Why shouldn't we be here? Listen, we never laid a finger on that cat!" Ron glares. "That's what I told Ginny, but she still seems to think you're going to be expelled, I've never seen her so upset, crying her eyes out, you might think of her, all the first years are thoroughly overexcited by this business." Percy retorts. "You don't care about Ginny. You're just worried I'm going to mess up your chances of being Head Boy!" Ron glares. "Five points from Gryffindor! And I hope it teaches you a lesson! No more detective work, or I'll write to Mum!" Percy tells him, storming off with his neck as red as Ron's ears.