ninety six

96 || woes

Dinner was an awkward event, partly because no one knew what to say to anyone. Draco was a moody bitch; something had happened before he got off the train that he refused to say.

"I'm starving," Astoria suddenly spoke, "Hope they sort these kids out quickly."

It was a completely different atmosphere. No Lucas still. No Theo. Adelaide wasn't talking. Alex was uncomfortable. Draco had a guilty expression.

"Same," Blaise said, "I mean, can they not feed us while the sorting is happening?"

Finally, the last first year was sorted and the feast appeared in front of them.

"Any plans for Quidditch this year, Captain?" Blaise asked.

"We need a new chaser and I'm planning on replacing Crabbe and Goyle."

"Smart."

"I'm not playing this year," Draco stated, "So, you'll need a new seeker too."

Adelaide really didn't care, "Great. I'm sure we'll actually catch the snitch with a new seeker."

"Oh, shut up," Draco muttered.

"I wasn't actually speaking to you."

Draco and Adelaide were usually at each other's throats, but this year it was different. They both seemed to hate the other for some reason, Adelaide knew that his father was at the Ministry that night, and Draco blamed his father going to Azkaban on Harry which in his eyes also made that blame fall to Adelaide.

"Oh shit," Blaise muttered, his eyes following someone, "What happened to Potter?"

They all turned their heads and watched as Harry walked to the Gryffindor table, his nose all bloody, "Draco?"

The boy shrugged.

"Did you break Potter's nose?" Adelaide asked.

"No."

"Oh my- You so did!" She exclaimed. Harry had now sat at the table with his friends, but turned around to face them, "Shit. Pretend you weren't looking."

Blaise and Adelaide began pointing at the ceiling, their eyes squinted, "He's turned back around."

"Did you actually break his nose?" Alex asked.

"Maybe," Draco muttered, "Why do you care?"

"Never said I did, but Merlin! Anger issues much," She exclaimed, "What did he even say? Or was it an unprecedented attack?"

Draco shook his head, "I won't talk about this, I'm going to bed early. Night."

Adelaide watched as he left the hall, "What a git," She muttered, "But I'm going to go up too. Can't be bothered to listen to Dumbledore wattle on about nonsense."

"You want some company?" Astoria asked.

"I'll be fine, gonna have a smoke," Adelaide pushed away from the table and began walking out, ignoring the stares that followed her and the whispers that got distant.

"You aren't going to talk to her?" Ron asked, putting down his fork.

Harry pulled his eyes away from the door the girl has just left from, "She made it clear." He stated, "Adelaide needs time and I'm going to give her that. Because at the end of the day, she's all I've wanted for years, and I won't throw that away the moment it gets a little hard."

Hermione nodded, "Yes, but it's also unfair for you to wait. What if she never comes back to you?"

"She will."

"But what if-"

"Hermione. She will," Harry said, not taking any 'what if's' or 'maybes', Adelaide would come back to him.

Somehow, Adelaide had ended up in the boy's dorm. Draco wasn't there and honestly, she didn't care. She sat on the bed that used to be Theo's, his stuff hadn't been taken away, just put in a box, he never came back, and it wasn't like his dad would come and collect it. Adelaide started taking things out. His uniform was at the top, creased like always but still smelling exactly like him. Then his normal clothes, jumpers, trousers, tops. She didn't know what to do with them, she couldn't throw them in the bin, it was too sentimental.

"We all miss him."

Adelaide jumped, her heart skipping a beat, "Fuck Draco, you scared the shit out of me."

He shrugged, "You weren't here at the end of the year. It was horrible. We were grieving and missed you and Theo so much."

"I know."

"No, you don't." Draco stated, "It was the worst time of my life. Thinking I'd never see you and Theo again. Now you've come back, and he hasn't? It's not fair."

Adelaide sniffed, "Trust me, I've been thinking that since I came back."

He nodded, "I just wish he could come back."

For the first time, Adelaide saw a weakness in Draco. His eyes watered ever so slightly, and his posture dropped. She got to her feet and wrapped him in her arms, "We just need to figure out a way to live without him."

"I don't think I can do that."

"I know, I know," Adelaide whispered, "But we don't have another choice, Draco."

"I wished it was you that stayed dead."

Adelaide froze, pulling away from him, "What?"

Draco took a breath, "I shared a room with Theo for five years, I've known him my whole life. He related to my shitty parent problems. You never could. Maybe now you can."

She gave him a second glance, "You know?"

"I heard. Alexis is back, and she's the one who killed you," Draco said, "Then I met her. Adelaide, she's a monster."

Adelaide chuckled, "You think?" She pulled up her shirt, revealing the scar, "I'm going to have this my whole life. Even when she's long gone, I will have this constant reminder of what she did."

"What are you going to do, Adelaide?"

"I'm going to kill her."