twenty three

23 || consequences

ADELAIDE stared at the boy, her mouth hung open in shock, as did the rest of the hall.

There was no applause.

A buzzing, as though of angry bees, was starting to fill the Hall; some students were standing up to get a better look at Harry as he sat, frozen, in his seat.

Up at the top table, McGonagall had got to her feet and swept past Ludo Bagman and Professor Karkaroff to whisper urgently to Dumbledore, who bent his ear toward her, frowning slightly.

Adelaide had nothing to say. Harry was really proving her point that every year something bad had to happen to him.

At the top table, Professor Dumbledore had straightened up, nodding to Professor McGonagall.

"Harry Potter!" he called again. "Harry! Up here, if you please!"

Harry got to his feet, trod on the hem of his robes, and stumbled slightly. He set off up the gap between the Gryffindor and Huffle- puff tables. It felt like an immensely long walk; the top table didn't seem to be getting any nearer at all, and he could feel hundreds and hundreds of eyes upon him, as though each were a searchlight. The buzzing grew louder and louder. After what seemed like an hour, he was right in front of Dumbledore, feeling the stares of all the teachers upon him.

"Well . . . through the door, Harry," said Dumbledore. He wasn't smiling.

As Harry disappeared into the chambres the whispering began and they were ushered off to their common rooms, "Remember I said at the start of the year that something bad was going to happen?"

Theo glanced at her blankly, "No, but go on."

"Well, let's just say I'll be joining Trelawney as a seer soon."

The Slytherin common room was full of laughter that evening, everyone was making fun of the boy who lived and Draco had started on some stupid badges with Pansy. Barely an hour later, the usual quartet plus Lucas were in the boys dorms lay around.

"He didn't do it," Adelaide stated, "Like, did you see his face? It was pure shock."

Alex nodded, "I agree. Why would Harry even want the attention anyway? Since first year he's kinda hated it."

Lucas and Theo sat quietly in the back of the room playing cards, "Hey Luc, you get anything back from your mum?"

"Nah, she said she'd talk to me when I go back. What about your uncle?"

"Same. They're hiding something for sure," Adelaide said as she leant on the windowsill, "I'll be back guys. I gotta do something."

The four muttered in response before going back to what they were doing leaving Adelaide to trek across the grounds in search of something. She had brought some chicken which she had snuck from the kitchens and a blanket, after all she didn't know what to expect.

"Snuffles? Here boy!"

As Adelaide for further and further away from the castle she began to think it wasn't so much of a good idea to come alone. Maybe she should've told someone where she was going at least.

Wrapping her arms around her waist and pulling her jacket closer to her, Adelaide placed the chicken down on the floor and out came the black shaggy dog. She didn't know wether to be relieved or be scared.

He was safe that was a good thing but-

"Dad? You can transform back. We're far enough."

At this the dog shifted into a human and there sat Sirius Black.

He looked more cleaner than his wanted photos, clean shaved and a hair cut. He was also out of his prison clothes and into some comfortable clothing items.

"Holy shit," Adelaide breathed, "It's really you."

Sirius smiled, "Hey mini-foot."

Maybe she was psychotic and needed to be placed in St Mungos or maybe she missed her dad too much but Sirius was not prepared for the bone crushing hug he received, "Tell me you're innocent. Because I've spent my whole life debating with myself and if you really did betray everyone I don't think I can live. Because you'll kill me right now and because it will hurt too much."

The man chuckled and held his daughter at arms length, "I'm innocent. Your mum knows, I explained everything to them when you left. You weren't supposed to find out yet but you're your mothers daughters so what else was I expecting."

"Harry got called out of the goblet. I thought I should let you know," Adelaide said, "But he didn't put his name in there. I think somethings going to happen this year. Something really bad. And in all honesty, I'm scared dad."

Sirius had to double take, he was not used to being called 'dad' and never expected it, "If anything happens Adelaide. I swear to you, I'll protect you. You are the most important thing to me and I love you with all my heart."

Was Adelaide really about to say it? It would make up for last time. Just three words. I. Love. You.

"I urm- brought a blanket. I wasn't sure on where you were staying and if you were staying in somewhere like the shrieking shack I didn't want you to die of hypothermia or something when I'd just got you back," she scratched the back of her neck awkwardly.

She couldn't say it.

"I'm staying at Grimmauld Place. Kreacher still hates me but some things really don't change," He joked, "You should get back to the castle. Talk to Harry. I know he'll want some friends at a time like this."

Adelaide began to walk up when she stopped, "He knows, right? Last year, when I got that gap in my memory. I found out when I wasn't supposed to."

"Yeah, you did."

She began to walk back now, "It's been coming back in dreams. Like segments of it. At the start of the summer I thought it was just normal dreams. Then it would happen in the day. Then I started to get a nosebleed. Now it happens quite often. I don't know what to do."

Sirius' face changed in alarm but he managed to conceal it and put on a normal face, "Talk to Dumbledore, he knows more than you think. I'll owl you mini-pup."

"I'll try to owl you back dad."

"Tell your boyfriend to be careful."

"Yeah I- wait- what?! Dad? How do you- No, get back here. Dad!"

When Adelaide reached the castle Laurent was standing at the entrance with a smile on his face, "Hey, where were you?"

"Felt like going on a walk," She said as they linked their hands, "How's Fleur? I didn't get the chance to congratulate her."

"She's a bit pissed because of Harry but besides that she's over the moon."

Adelaide had managed to sneak Laurent into her dorm that evening and for the rest of the evening they lay in bed catching up, "Well, I've got a long, lost family member who I had no idea existed and I don't think anyone did really. Beat that."

"What's next? Is your daughter going to come through the door?" Laurent joked.

"Woah there, how do you know about Tiffany?"

Laurent snorted, "Tiffany? That's the best you could come up with?"

"Don't mock my daughter Dupont."

"Wouldn't dream of it," He muttered as he pressed his lips against hers. They were sweet and soft, it began calm then turned passionate and he kissed down her neck, sucking behind her ear.

Adelaide pulled on his hair as she threw her head back onto the pillow, "That was good."

"Good?" Laurent questioned, "Is that all you have to say?"

"Eh," She shrugged, "Stay with me?"

a/n: as you can tell I really cannot write kissing scenes 😭 also two days in a row and another chapter in the writing, I'm on a roll :)