ninety nine

99 || trials and tribulations

Friday came around after a week of lessons and Adelaide was down at the Quidditch pitch with Bletchley ready for trials, "Good decision to get rid of Crabbe and Goyle."

Adelaide nodded, "They were shit. I want to win and for that I need a perfect team. Which brings me to tell you that I want you to work harder this year, I'll be scheduling separate practices for you and the chasers so that we don't let any goals in this year. I want to be able to win easily and cleanly."

Bletchley nodded, "Right-o."

Students emerged from the changing rooms, brooms at their side, eager to get a spot on the team, "Alright! Welcome to our Quidditch trials, as you know, Gryffindor have bested us for two years and I don't intend for that to happen under my watch. So, if you aren't picked for the team, it's not personal. Alright, Chasers to the left, Seekers in front of me and Beaters on the right."

The turnout was pretty good, there were more girls trying out than ever, probably because for the first time they had a female captain, so they were more likely to get picked.

Bletchley took the Chasers; they would line up and try to score and he would compile a list of names for Adelaide. She took the Beaters first, having them attempt to knock some of the people trying out for seekers, and the seekers were given speed trials, as well as having to get past the beaters. It was well planned on Adelaide's behalf, and she knew she could make a great team.

"That was great everyone," Adelaide said once they crowded around again, "If I call your name stand on my right and you will progress to the next stage. Chasers. Zabini, Wright, Mitchell and Urquart. Seekers. Lance, Price and Greyson. Beaters, Nolan, Thomas, Daniels and Howard. Everyone else, you may leave."

There were a few groans, but the crowd dispersed.

"We'll be playing a mini game now, Zabini and Mitchell, first team, and Wright and Urquart second team, Lance you will be first team, Price, second and Greyson I'll swap you on. And Nolan and Daniels will be first team with Thomas and Howard second team." They all nodded and arranged themselves into teams, "Bletchley will be keeper for the first team, and I will attempt to be keeper for the second team. Everyone, mount your brooms."

Blaise was a clear choice, Adelaide already knew he was good, the second chaser position would be given to Taylor Wright, a girl from fifth year. The seeker position went to Max Lance, he was exceptional and with enough practice better than Harry. Adelaide had chosen Dylan Thomas and Melissa Howard for the beaters; they worked well as a pair and were the best of friends. Adelaide noted down the others in case someone got suspended from Quidditch or got seriously injured, but besides that, she had a winning team.

The seven players gathered in the changing rooms and Adelaide took out her wand, looking at the lockers, "I have been on this team since I was twelve and since then we have lost to Gryffindor twice, once it was cancelled because of a paralysing snake and the other because of the dreaded Triwizard tournament. This year is our year, training will be hard, and you will be tired but when we win it will be rewarded, trust me."

The lockers began with A.Black, then M.Bletchley, and the other five were empty, with a swish of her wand they were scribed:

B.Zabini

T.Wright

M.Lance

D.Thomas

M.Howard.

"Congrats, we're a team."

Once the others had filed out, Blaise approached Adelaide, "I know this is hard for you. I listened to you talk to Theo about the dream for co-captaincy. But you're doing amazing, trust me."

"Thanks Blaise," Adelaide whispered, and the boy wrapped his arms around her, "Come on, I'm absolutely starving."

Dinner was normal. Draco was still imposing on them, and no one could be bothered to tell him to 'fuck off', they also felt slightly bad that his father was in Azkaban (not Adelaide).

"If we win the Quidditch cup I swear to Merlin I will host the biggest party that Hogwarts has ever seen," Adelaide said.

"I mean, you've made history already," Astoria said, "The first female Quidditch captain for Slytherin, three of the players are women. It's amazing."

Alex nodded, "If I could play Quidditch I would. Just being hit with a bludger doesn't sound that nice."

"It's not that bad, the adrenaline takes over and you don't feel it," Adelaide said, "And Pomfrey can heal you easily."

"Black," Snape announced, "This letter arrived at my window, the dumb owl must have got lost."

She glanced at him, "Okay." And took the letter.

Alex nervously stared at her, and unbeknownst to the others, as did Draco.

"I'll read it later."

Later came and once Alex and Astoria had fallen asleep, Adelaide made her way to the common room, taking out a cigarette and the letter.

Adelaide,

You must be angry, but I am happy to know you are alive. There are things you must know, secrets that still haven't been revealed. Meet me in Hogsmead tomorrow and I'll give you something in return, or rather someone.

Your Mother, Alexis.

"Shit." 

𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗴𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗲𝘀, harry potterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें