six

6 || the breakdown

ON HALLOWEEN morning, Adelaide woke up with the dog at the end of her bed still. Alex and Astoria hadn't said anything about her bringing a dog in but they most likely couldn't be bother to deal with her shit.

"Are you sure you'll be alright here alone? We could sneak you out." Theo suggested as they were in the courtyard getting ready to leave.

"Go Theo, it's alright. But bring me back some sweets." Adelaide said and made her way to the library.

"What are you doing?" She heard Filch snarl but he wasn't talking to her, he was talking to Harry.

"Nothing." Harry said and Adelaide could tell he was on his way to making a depresso for one.

"Nothing!" Spat Filch, "A likely story! Sneaking around on your own- why aren't you in-"

"Filchy! Filchy! Filchy!" Adelaide sang, "Peeves has been looking for you, I'd watch out, he's been malicious lately."

Filch let out a groan in hate and stomped off down the corridor, "Er- thanks I guess."

"Your welcome." Adelaide said and started walking again.

"Wait! Why aren't you at Hogsmead?" Harry asked trying to start conversation.

"Because my dad's a murderer and he's on the loose, duh."

"You can hang out with me... If you want to I mean. I'm not going to force you or anything. It's just I'm alone and you're alone so why not? You don't have to." Harry rambled and Adelaide gave in just to stop the boy from talking, well at least that's what she told herself.

"Why not? Where to Potter?" She asked.

"You can call me Harry you know?"

"I know, but Potter suits you better."

...

HARRY WASN'T as bad as Adelaide thought, of course she wouldn't admit it but she found him quite interesting, and good looking but that was a big, massive, humongous no no.

"You fought Voldemort like three times and you're scared of Crookshanks?" Adelaide laughed.

"I'm not scared of the cat it just- it always has a murder look on its face. Don't you see it?"

"No."

Adelaide was now doubling over with laughter and Harry couldn't help but admire her, she was beautiful and her laugh was melodic to his ears.

"Harry? Miss Mckinnon-Black?"

They spun around to see who had spoke and met Lupin looking out of his office door.

To say that Lupin was hurt that Adelaide refused to go to his lessons was an understatement. He wanted to be her uncle like he was supposed to be.

"What are you doing? Where are your friends?" He asked in a much calmer tone and less accusatory than Filch.

"Hogsmead." Harry answered and Adelaide nodded along.

"Ah," Lupin seemed to be considering something for a moment, "Why don't you come in? I've just taken delivery of a Grindylow for our next lesson."

"A what?"

They followed Lupin to his office and in the corner stood a very large tank of water. A sickly green creature with sharp little horns had its face pressed against the glass, pulling faces and flexing its long, spindly fingers.