thirty eight

38 || the second task

FLEUR AND Adelaide sat on the floor of the Beauxbatons quarters the night before the second task.

"What if the giant squid or whatever you call it attacks me and I die and I don't get to see my parents ever again?"

Adelaide was too high for this, "Then they'll be living in peace for the rest of their lives. Kidding. You aren't going to die. I hope."

"Way to make me feel better," Fleur said, her face exposing her fear, "What do you need Gabrielle?"

The younger Delacour sister stood in the doorway, "Someone named Fred and George are at the door for you Adelaide."

Adelaide smiled at Gabrielle and stood up, "I'll see you tomorrow morning Fleur, good luck." Fred and George were stood at the door with a grin, "What have you gotten yourself into now MB?" The blonde snorted, "Wait- have they figured- no. Who needs me?"

"McGonagall, she seemed pretty grim, y'know?" Fred said, "C'mon Adds, or we'll get the wrong end of Minnie's temper."

Adelaide rolled her eyes knowing that McGonagall could never be angry at her, she would most likely blame it on the twins. But nonetheless the twins led her to Dumbledore's office where Hermione, Ron and Cho stood.

"Miss McKinnon-Black, pleased you could finally join us," Dumbledore said, "Join your fellow peers please." Adelaide frowned but did as she was told, standing on the end next to Ron, "You four have been chosen to help in the second task of the triwizard tournament. The four champions must find their prized possession in the depths of the black lake. Mr Weasley for Mr Potter, Miss Granger for Mr Krum, Miss Chang for Mr Diggory and Miss McKinnon-Black for Miss Delacour. Before I continue... can you all swim?"

...

THEO WAS confused. Adelaide hasn't gone back to her dorm last night and was nowhere to be found this morning. Fleur said she had been asked to go to McGonagall's but that that was last night and now they were on the platforms in the midst of the Black Lake.

Harry had just arrived from what he could see and was immediately thrown into the chaos of the task, he was also looking around, probably for Hermione and Ron who had vanished as well.

"You think she's high of her ass right now?" Alex asked, "It wouldn't surprise me to be honest." The four champions dove into the water when Theo had an epiphany, "Holy shit. She's the treasure." Lucas gave him a weird look, "What are you on?"

"No, right listen. Adds was telling me that they had to find some sort of treasure or whatnot, then it came to me. Who's not here this morning? Hermione, Ron, and Adelaide. Krum took Hermione to the ball, Ron is Harry's best friend and Fleur and Adelaide are like sisters, that means that I'm guessing Cho's Diggory's treasure because I haven't seen her. Wow. I'm so smart."

Time ticked by and people began to shiver in the cold, really regretting their clothing choices for February. But their attention was shifted when Fleur came up, with no Adelaide. She was frantic, they couldn't hear what she was saying but it didn't seem good.

"What about Adelaide?" Alex asked, "What's going to happen to her?" No one knew the answer, the tournament was known for its death toll, what if they were just going to leave Adelaide down there with the merpeople?

The minutes daunted close to the end of the hour and no other champions were yet to emerge from the water. But just as the minute hand went past the hour, Cedric came up with Cho Chang, both swimming to the shore. "We have our winner for this task ladies and gents! Well done Mr Diggory!"

Followed after was Viktor Krum who was transfigured as a shark, he too brought along his treasure, Hermione. Now all that was left was Harry. The fourteen year old champion. It seemed as if the whole crowd had been holding in a breath because when two heads broke free from the water, there were sighs of relief all around. Adelaide and Ron swam to the shore, Adelaide being pulled into a hug by Fleur who was muttering profanities into friends ear. The two blondes sat in each other's embrace until Harry appeared on the stand. Madam Pomfrey wrapped a towel around the shivering boy as Fleur rushed to him, "You saved Adelaide even though she was not yours to save. Thank you!" She save kissing him cheek then turned to Ron, "And thank you!" 

Adelaide stifled a laugh at Ron's pink and surprised face, "Want one from me to, Weasley?" She said blowing a kiss in his direction, the ginger pretended to catch it and brought his hand to his chest, "I shall treasure this forever."

Ludo Bagman's magically magnified voice boomed out beside them, making them all jump, and causing the crowd in the stands to go very quiet. "Ladies and gentlemen, we have reached our decision. Merchieftainess Murcus has told us exactly what happened at the bottom of the lake, and we have therefore decided to award marks out of fifty for each of the champions, as follows. . . . Fleur Delacour, though she demonstrated excellent use of the Bubble-Head Charm, was attacked by grindylows as she approached her goal, and failed to retrieve her hostage. We award her twenty-five points."
Applause from the stands.

"I deserved zero," said Fleur throatily, shaking her magnificent head, Adelaide gave her a half hug letting her know it was alright.

"Cedric Diggory, who also used the Bubble-Head Charm, was first to return with his hostage, though he returned one minute outside the time limit of an hour." Enormous cheers from the Hufflepuffs in the crowd, "We therefore award him forty-seven points."
Harrys heart sank. If Cedric had been outside the time limit, he most certainly had been.

"Viktor Krum used an incomplete form of Transfiguration, which was nevertheless effective, and was second to return with his hostage. We award him forty points." Karkaroff clapped particularly hard, looking very superior. "Harry Potter used gillyweed to great effect," Bagman continued. "He returned last, and well outside the time limit of an hour. However, the Merchieftainess informs us that Mr. Potter was first to reach the hostages, and that the delay in his return was due to his determination to return all hostages to safety, not merely his own. "Most of the judges," and here, Bagman gave Karkaroff a very nasty look, "feel that this shows moral fiber and merits full marks. However . . . Mr. Potter's score is forty-five points."

Adelaide gave him a shocked expression but cheered loudly for him with the rest of the crowd nonetheless, "Show them how it's done Harry!" Adelaide cheered, glaring slightly at Krum who was grumbling under his breath as Hermione ignored him.

"The third and final task will take place at dusk on the twenty-fourth of June," continued Bagman. "The champions will be notified of what is coming precisely one month beforehand. Thank you all for your support of the champions." Madam Pomfrey began herding the champions and hostages back to the castle to get into dry clothes but Adelaide was stopped by Alex, Theo and Lucas who jumped onto her, "We thought you were dead!" Theo said, "Well Alex thought you were too high to attend but I was smart and realised you were in the lake." Adelaide laughed, "If only you could be that smart all of the time, T."

The boy nodded smiling along, "Yeah... wait- Adelaide! No. Don't run away from me! What do you mean by that? What do you mean?!"

Lucas elbowed him, "You know what she means, love."

theo this whole chapter