fourty five

45 || going home

ALEX HAD TO endure a month of Adelaide waking up breathless and scared, she'd been having nightmares, from Cedric's death to the blurred face of her real mother. But no matter how many times it happened, Adelaide refused to go to Madam Pomfrey, or even Dumbledore.

"I didn't even wear this," Alex stated, throwing a top into her trunk, "Remind me not to pack as much next year."

Adelaide chuckled, "I'll remind you when I remind myself. Why did I even bring this?" She continued folding items of clothing until she got to the back of the wardrobe and was met with a photo of her and Astoria from third year, "I should talk to her."

Alex looked up and smiled sadly, "It's up to you, she did a really fucked up thing but we can all tell she regrets it."

"She was like a sister to me, and it hurt that she betrayed me more than it hurt that Laurent betrayed me."

After what felt like hours of labour that was cleaning their dorm, the two made their way to the Leaving Feast, which Adelaide had been dreading. The usual decorations were missing from the hall, normally the colours of the winning house would decorate the space. Instead, the drapes behind the teachers table were black in memory of Cedric.

Adelaide and Alex lowered themselves into a seat at the Slytherin table, the blonde instantly being sent weird looks due to her connection to the whole Voldemort return.

"The end," said Dumbledore, looking around at them all, "of another year." He paused, and his eyes fell upon the Hufflepuff table. Theirs had been the most subdued table before he had gotten to his feet, and theirs were still the saddest and palest faces in the Hall. "There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight," said Dumbledore, "but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here," he gestured toward the Hufflepuffs, "enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory."

Benches scraped along the floor as the whole school got to their feet with glasses raised, in one loud, low, rumbling voice they all said, "Cedric Diggory."
Harry let his eyes drift over through the crowd to Adelaide. Her face was still and looking down he saw Theo's fingers rubbing her knuckles, something they seemed to do when the other needed support. Harry looked down as the school returned to their seats.

"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house," Dumbledore continued. "He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about. Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort." A panicked whisper swept the Great Hall. People were staring at Dumbledore in disbelief, in horror. He looked perfectly calm as he watched them mutter themselves into silence.

"The Ministry of Magic," Dumbledore continued, "does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so - either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory."

Stunned and frightened, every face in the Hall was turned toward Dumbledore now. "There is somebody else who must be mentioned in connection with Cedrics death," Dumbledore went on. "I am talking, of course, about Harry Potter." A kind of ripple crossed the Great Hall as a few heads turned in Harry's direction before flicking back to face Dumbledore. Adelaide had specifically asked the man to leave her out of anything to do with the whole debacle.