twenty one

21 || strained friendship

ADELAIDE had to endure Theo's endless ranting about Krum the entire way back to the Great Hall and when they were seated at the Slytherin table, "He's the best seeker in the world Nova, I'm telling you, Draco wishes he was him."

"Draco wishes he had at least a speck of talent because he's never caught the snitch in his life," Adelaide snapped. Draco sent her a glare which was only reciprocated by the blonde girl, truth be told he was one of the reasons they never win.

Theo had to stop his rambling when Krum and the students of Durmstrang sat a couple seats down from them, but Adelaide could tell he was silently screaming on the inside.

Krum, however, wasn't much interested in Draco at all and instead leant over to introduce himself to the quartet, "Hi, I'm Viktor."

"No offence my love, but we already knew that," Adelaide said, "I'm Adelaide, then we got Theo, Alex and Astoria."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Alex smiled.

Astoria was dazing elsewhere, unable to respond to Viktor or anyone for that matter. Adelaide herself was looking for Laurent across the Great Hall, the students from Beauxbatons were sat at the Ravenclaw table but it was impossible to distinguish who was who when they all wore the same pale blue robes.

Up at the staff table, Filch was adding chairs. He was wearing his moldy old tailcoat in honor of the occasion. Adelaide was surprised to see that he added four chairs, two on either side of Dumbledore's.

"It's only Madame Maxine and Karkaroff, right?" Adelaide questioned Theo, "Why's there an extra two chairs?"

When all the students had entered the Hall and settled down at their House tables, the staff entered, filing up to the top table and taking their seats. Last in line were Professor Dumbledore, Profes- sor Karkaroff, and Madame Maxime. When their headmistress appeared, the pupils from Beauxbatons leapt to their feet. A few of the Hogwarts students laughed. The Beauxbatons party appeared quite unembarrassed, however, and did not resume their seats until Madame Maxime had sat down on Dumbledore's left-hand side. Dumbledore remained standing, and a silence fell over the Great Hall.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, ghosts and — most particularly — guests," said Dumbledore, beaming around at the foreign students. "I have great pleasure in welcoming you all to Hogwarts. I hope and trust that your stay here will be both comfortable and enjoyable."

One of the Beauxbatons girls still clutching a muffler around her head gave what was unmistakably a derisive laugh.

"The tournament will be officially opened at the end of the feast," said Dumbledore. "I now invite you all to eat, drink, and make yourselves at home!"

He sat down, and Karkaroff leant forward at once and engaged him in conversation.

The plates in front of them filled with food as usual. The house- elves in the kitchen seemed to have pulled out all the stops; there was a greater variety of dishes in front of them than many of the students had ever seen, including several that were definitely foreign.

"What's that?" Lucas asked, pointing at a large dish of some sort of shellfish stew stood behind a large steak and kidney pudding.

"Bouillabaisse," said Adelaide.

"Urm, bless you."

"It's French you twat, Fleur likes it so we have it almost every christmas. It's quite nice." She explained, taking some for her plate.

The hall seemed much more crowded than usual, the Durmstrang lot, sat with the Slytherins, making conversation about their pureblooded families. Whereas the Beauxbatons were politely sat at the Ravenclaw table, speaking mostly to themselves.

"Oh my, you were right Adelaide," Lucas grinned as he took another portion of bouillabaisse, "This. Is. Amazing."

"Hey love."

Adelaide spun around and saw Laurent stood with a smile on his face, "Mind if I join you?"

"You can sit here!" Astoria quickly said.

The blonde sent daggers towards her before shoving Blaise up, "Sit Laurent. Guys meet Laurent Dupont. Laurent, we have Theo, Lucas, Alex, Blaise, Astoria and those people are irrelevant."

"I heard that MB," Draco snarled.

"It's lovely to meet you all," Laurent said and gave Adelaide a peck on her forehead, "Wanna go on a walk after dinner? I've heard the views are marvellous."

"I guess I could, only for you."

...

Harry was staring right ahead, his eyes fixed upon Adelaide and Laurent, "He's so perfect."

"Who?" Ron asked, his mouth filled to the brim with chicken.

"No one Ron," Harry covered up, "So, you want to enter?"

...

LUCAS AND Laurent were in deep conversation about bouillabaisse so Adelaide took the opportunity to confront Astoria, "What the hell Greengrass? What are you playing?"

"I'm not doing anything Nova," she shrugged, "He isn't your boyfriend yet, that's what you said."

Alex decided to get involved, "You know we love you Tori, but you can't go after Laurent when him and Adelaide are- I don't know what they are but they might as well be dating."

"Hogwarts has other options for him, if he wants Adelaide he can have her, when they make it official, I'll back off, but until then, it's every girl for herself."

A scraping sounded the hall and Adelaide was seen storming out, Laurent had tried to follow but Alex had stopped him, she knew Adelaide wanted time to herself right now.

The girl was pacing the corridor outside the Great Hall, she couldn't believe Astoria and was trying to convince herself that Laurent was really hers but Astoria could be persuasive, maybe she would steal him away.

Yes, she could steal him away. So what? You've got plenty options. Laurent's one in like a million.

"This is not the time," Adelaide said under her breath, "Shut up."

Fine, but when he leaves you don't say I didn't warn you.

Adelaide slid down the wall, rubbing her temples as she attempted to regain calmness, she wouldn't let Astoria get the better of her and she wouldn't let a boy make her sad.

"Hey, that Alex girl tried to stop me, but I wanted to check on you," Laurent said, sliding down next to her, "What's up love?"

"It's nothing, I swear," Adelaide murmured.

"Didn't look like nothing, I thought Astoria was your friend."

The blonde let her head hit the back of the wall, "She gets competitive, I guess, when it comes to boys, she almost knocked out Pansy Parkinson because she looked at Draco for too long. She just pissed me off tonight."

"Fancy going on our walk now?" He asked, "Lucas told me the Black Lake's a cool spot to stargaze."

Adelaide let a smile appear on her face, "As long as you're there."

a/n: this is kinda short but honestly I just wanna get into the drama :)