Chapter 97

The days and weeks were going quickly and it was the day I anticipated. The Balloon Fiesta. As first-time goers, Andy and I did not know what to expect. With the help of some fellow balloon goers when we arrived at the airport, they let us know that we needed to be at the balloon launch site by 4 to get a better spot. We also were told to wear lots of layers (which as a Californian, gave me the ick). 

So, in our rented little car, we were on our way blindly down to the spot at 3:55 in the morning.

"I hope they serve food and coffee," I remarked as I stifled a yawn.

Andy was driving since I couldn't follow the directions given as we drove.

He chuckled.

"I assume so darling. That's how they make their money," Andy remarked.

The directions we received were from the hotel front desk person. And were easier than following the map.

"Okay go left here," I told him as we started to bottleneck.

We had arrived in the line to get into the balloon launch site.

"Jesus it's before 4 and it's already packed," Andy commented.

"Oh shoot parking is a dollar," I remarked as I rummaged through my little bag.

"That's nothing, darling," he commented as the line slowly moved.

I handed Andy the dollar. It was warmer than they had told us. I had possibly brought gloves and a scarf for nothing.

We handed the gentleman the dollar to park and we made our way to a parking spot.

After we got parked, we walked and followed everyone.

He grabbed my hand.

"I thought it was gonna be cold like dead of winter but to me it's pretty warm," Andy remarked as we got in line to purchase our balloon field tickets.

"Same the hotel desk person made it seem like our fingertips would be frostbitten," I told him as he went to pay.

We got our tickets, walked through the gates, and started just looking around. 

"The mass ascension starts at 7 so we got time to kill," I remarked as I looked at the pamphlet someone handed me.

"At 6 there's a Krispy Kreme Balloon Morning Glow," he remarked.

"I wonder what that means," I commented.

"The pilots do a dawn patrol and check the winds and give an okay for flights," a woman stated next to us.

"Oh thank you," I told her as Andy and I looked at the pamphlet.

"How many days are we here for?" Andy asked me.

"Well we decided 3 days, so two more after this," I told him.

"We need to check out these restaurants," he remarked as he pointed to a specific part of the pamphlet.

"I definitely know there has got to be a difference between Mexican and New Mexican food," I remarked as I began to smell food.

I looked around to figure out where it was coming from.

There was a concession stand not too far from us.

"Can we go look and see what they are selling?" I gestured to the stand.

Andy chuckled.

"Yes of course darling," he commented as he grabbed my hand again and we walked over to the area.

It was popping. People of all ages stood in line to get a burrito and coffee.

"I wonder how hot the chile is? Have we ever had this kind of chile?" Andy asked.

"I don't know. Maybe not New Mexican," I commented.

"I suggest the green. It can be a milder," some man next to us commented.

"Thanks," I told him.

"The number one burrito sounds good then. Green chile, bacon, eggs, and potatoes," Andy listed off.

"I'll take that then," I told him.

"And coffee?" he asked me.

"Yes thank you, Andrew," I remarked.

I looked at him and I couldn't help but appreciate Andy. He was spontaneous and agreed to fly out to Albuquerque just for this. Andy also looked ADORABLE in a beanie.

Andy went and ordered for us and we stayed off to the side waiting for our order to be called.

"So we'll go find a spot to eat then we'll walk around and see what's for sale?" I asked him.

"That sounds great darling," Andy remarked.

I wondered how quickly once daylight broke anyone would notice Andy.

"Your voice sounds so familiar, do I know you?" a younger girl in her early twenties asked Andy as we waited for our food.

"I'm from Australia so probably not," was Andy's comment.

"I've heard your voice before but maybe all Australians sound the same," the girl remarked just as our food was called out.

Andy went to grab it.

"Is he your boyfriend?" she asked me.

"Fiance actually," Andy remarked before I could even reply.

"Y-yeah fiance," I remarked pointing to the promise ring.

The girl walked off as Andy handed me my food.

"Why did you say that?" I asked him as we walked to find a table and chairs.

"So she'd leave us alone. If she got any closer, she would have realized who I was and I just want a normal time with my girlfriend," Andy told me as we finally found a spot.

"Well then," I remarked chuckling.

We ate our breakfast and waited for the pilot's dawn patrol. It looked like it was gonna be a go. But, we had to wait for the officials to give the green flag closer to 7. By 6:45, it was a go.

As the sun peeked over the mountains, I was in awe. The sunrises in Califorina were beautiful. But, the mountains looked like watermelons.

"I wonder if my camera will pick up on the sunrise," I commented.

"Doesn't hurt to try and take a picture darling," Andy commented as we looked around.

We saw the balloon envelopes laid out on the field. Several balloons were already inflated for the beginning of the mass ascension. 

"Thank you for allowing us to come out," I told him.

"Don't thank me, darling. Thank Violet really for the idea, right?" he asked me.

I smiled.

"That's true," I remarked as Andy wrapped me in a hug from behind.

This older couple next to us was doing the same thing. I wasn't cold but I also wasn't gonna complain about it. 

By 7, the officials spoke and they did the National Anthem. And there went the first balloon for the morning's mass ascension with the flag.

The sites and sounds of this fiesta were gonna be one I'd keep in my heart forever.