Chapter 7

The adult world was getting harder to manage for me. Violet's AA meetings were a breeze now with it being routine. IBM was demanding more time from me which meant I had less time for myself.

Andy, on the other hand, was just a friend. A nice friendship bloomed from where we stood many months ago when he was at Betty Ford. But, for some reason, it felt like it was a masquerade between the two of us. Lost in a masquerade I suppose.

Violet had successfully been sober for 4 months. It was a proud stride for her and me. With Grandma Mary also being on her success team, things were really looking up for her.

"I got accepted into art school!" Violet told the entire AA meeting tonight.

I had known for a few days and was so proud to see her keep climbing the ladder. She really knew what to fix and focus on now. Her priorities weren't blurry.

Days and weeks were trickling by and fall was quickly approaching. It seemed to have a bitter chill but not to the California air. Something felt off. It wasn't Violet.

I didn't have much time for concerts anymore as an adult. But, Andy had a gig and invited both me and Violet to come see his stage show. In all my years, I never saw him perform live even at the height of his career.

So, Violet and I went one afternoon to see him. His mother Barbara was there as well.

The room wasn't even half-full. He was performing at this little casino club room. 

"This is depressing," Violet whispered to me.

"I know but we got to push up his confidence if he asks us anything," I whispered to her.

He did a Mills Brother medley and even sang a few of his brother's songs from the 70s.

The show was over and he had someone come get us to hang out after the show.

"So what did you think?" was Andy's first question.

Violet and I looked at each other unsure what to say.

"It was great. I mean I never ever saw you perform years ago. It's a nice little show,"  I spoke.

"Yeah, Andy it was a lovely show," Violet added to my comment.

Just then, a woman I had yet seen before came in.

"Oh guys this is my girlfriend Diana. She's a Solid Gold Dancer," Andy said as she proceeded to reach for our hands to shake.

I was taken aback. Not that he needed to tell us he was in a relationship. But, for some reason, my little heart was broken at this revelation.

"Nice to meet you," Diana told me and Violet.

"Likewise," I remarked.

Violet looked at me as Andy and Diana talked, forgetting we two were standing there.

"We'll uhm head out. See you around Andy," I told him as we exited the dressing room.

Violet and I didn't say a word till the car.

"I saw your eyes. Your heart broke," Violet commented as I proceeded to drive us to Grandma Mary's condo.

I sighed.

"Why does it bother me that he's already in a relationship? I should be happy he's healthy. It's not like I ever liked him," I remarked.

Violet sighed at my comment.

"You fell for him, didn't you? Now that you got to see him as Andrew Gibb and not the stage name out of the center," Violet asked me.

"Did I? I feel dumb feeling like this," I told her.