Chapter 40

"Don't do this Andy," I told him.

He had peeked out to the audience of one of the Fairmont shows. And 10 minutes before the show, he started getting mad and angry at how small the audience was. Barbara, his mom, was also here. Everything had been okay till now. Was it cause I was here?

"There's like maybe 100 people out there," he remarked.

This was a side of Andy I hadn't seen. It was awful.

"Andy, you know you have to rebuild still," Barbara consoled him.

It hit me. I think during situations like this he would demand his staff to get him alcohol or drugs. But, this time, he had nothing to fall back on. 

He then looked at me.

"If you don't go out there, your band won't get paid. And you won't get paid either now you better pull yourself together Andrew. I'll be on the side stage watching," I told him.

I glanced at the clock. We had less than 5 minutes to get him on stage.

"Look, I know there are things in life you don't like or want to do. But for god sake Andy, these people came to watch you," someone told him.

Barbara stepped out along with a few of his other staff members. 

It was just us two.

"If you think you are gonna mess up, you won't okay? I'll be here cheering you on," I told him as he looked lost at me.

I glanced again at the clock. It was 2 minutes till curtain.

He looked scared. For some reason. I hadn't seen him with this look in his eyes since Betty Ford.

He didn't say anything.

"Andrew come on," I remarked as I stood up and dragged him by the hand.

He reluctantly followed out the door to the side stage where they were getting ready to announce him to go out.

They handed him his mic and there he went. Not so much full energy, but he went and he started the show.

"I really thought he was gonna mess this up," Barbara told me quietly as we watched Andy go all over the stage.

"I think he's gonna hate me after," I commented.

"Why do you say that?" Barbara replied.

"I made him go out there. And usually, he had drugs or alcohol to push through a show and such. And this time, I was in his way. But," I explained to Barbara.

"(Y/N) Honey no he shouldn't hate you. You've been a big part of his recovery. He should be thankful you were here," Barbara replied.

"Yes but," I remarked.

"I know my son. And my son doesn't just give girls Tiffany bracelets. He told me the story and how you reacted. He loves you. He could never hate you," she told me as she gestured to the bracelet.

 Around this time, the first part of the show was over.

Andy came off stage to get something to drink and cool off for a second or two.

"Hi," I told him.

"Hi darling," he commented quietly.

"The show looks great," I remarked.

Barbara disappeared down the hall temporarily. 

"Thanks, darling," he told me as he kissed my forehead.

"You're not mad at me?" I asked.

"How could I be mad at you?" he asked me as he glanced to see if they were gonna call him out to go back out on stage.

"Because I made you go out on stage when you didn't want to," I told him.

"You didn't make me. I know I had to whether I realized it or not darling. I do have bills to pay as you put that into perspective," he told me quickly as he was whisked away back on stage.

I sighed in relief. I wasn't sure if he was mad or not cause before the start of the show he didn't even talk to me.

Barbara came back towards the end of the second part of the show.

"He sounds great. Did he finally talk to you?" she asked me.

"Yeah at the end of the first part of the show. He isn't mad. Well, that's what he's telling me," I commented.

"I know for a fact he'll probably be more thankful than ever you were here. This would have been a disaster," Barbara told me.

"Thanks, Barbara," I told her as Andy had the final curtain call and was done with the show for the evening.

That was one thing I hated the Fairmont was in San Fransisco. We had to fly home and it would be a long day tomorrow for feeling unrested. It was a good thing the show was on my weekend off.

And so, Andy went and got refreshed and changed into something comfortable for the drive to the airport. As we were leaving, some photographers were taking photos. 

"Are you ready to go public with our relationship?" Andy asked me as we walked out to the car.

"It's now or never," I remarked.

"Here make sure to get my girlfriend's good side," he jokingly told one of the photographers before we dashed into the car waiting for us.

"Why did you say it like that?" I asked laughing.

"Cause they'll run with it and best of all, they don't even know your name yet," he told me.

"That's actually smart," I told him as we began the drive to the airport.

Andy leaned his head on my shoulder as we drove. His gig was over for the week and he'd get to rest at least.

Eventually, we were home by 1 a.m. 

I helped him bring in his luggage and stuff. Lots of dry cleaning and laundry were gonna be done later in the morning.

After he got settled and showered again, I got ready to hit the hay too.

I was so tired. It was hitting me all at once.

"Darling," Andy commented as I was finishing up my braid.

"Huh?" I asked him.

"I just wanted to apologize for my behavior earlier in the evening. It was childish of me to not want to go out there for the last show. I know I got scared when there were only 100 people there but if I didn't fulfill the request, I would have let down everyone again," he explained.

I frowned at him.

"I knew you got scared but sometimes everything new is scary. It's hard to go from point A to point B sometimes but I'll always be here to cheer you on," I told him as I turned to face him.

Sam was wandering through the bedroom as we talked.

I looked at the clock and it was 2:30 a.m.

"I know and I do love you a lot. I just," he commented.

"Don't wanna mess things up?" I told him.

"Yeah I mean even tonight our first official photos together in the press will go live I'm sure in one of the newspapers," he commented.

"And that's not gonna change how we feel about each other," I told him as I crawled over to his side of the bed.

Somehow I was still coherent even though I was so damn tired.

I'm sure Andy felt the same.

"Now let's go to sleep so we can wake up at a decent time tomorrow," I told him as we kissed good night.

"Darling technically it's tomorrow already," he joked.

I rolled my eyes at his remark.

We got comfortable in bed and soon enough, dreamland had taken over.