Chapter 2

Week 3 of Violet's stay at the Betty Ford Center started off with a lot of phone calls and lots and lots of convincing her that it would help her. The weekly visit would be a tough one for both of us.

"I can't do it," she told me.

I shook my head at her.

"You can do this Violet. You made the decision to come here and you are halfway done. You have made so much progress,"  I told her proudly.

I went to shut her door and I noticed "Ralph" was walking with an older woman with glasses.

"Andy come on this time you can't give up," the older woman told him.

I thought to myself it had to be his mom.

I quietly shut Violet's door and went back to her.

"Look at me," I told her.

She refused to look at me.

"Violet, take a deep breath, hold it for a second," I instructed her.

She did what I told her.

"Now let it out through your nose like this," I demonstrated.

"H-how did I get so lucky to get a best friend like you?" she asked as I grabbed a tissue to clean up her tears.

"The god above knew. I mean we ain't religious but you know what I mean," I told her with a smile.

"God my mother would be so disappointed in me," Violet remarked as she closed her eyes for a second.

I shook my head.

"Violet, you did what you had to. And anyone in your circumstance would be understandable. But, the good thing is you recognized the demons and we will help you get over the hump,"  I told her.

She smiled at me humbly.

"You are the bestest friend I ever had," Violet sniffled as she hugged me.

I rocked her in the hug.

"You are gonna get this," I told her.

"Today I'm gonna get this," she replied back.

"Are there any group activities today?" I asked her curiously.

She paused as I let go of the hug from her. She went and grabbed the itinerary

"Well, we have lunch now at 11:30 if you wanna hang out. I'm sure they won't mind," Violet told me.

I didn't realize how long I had been here. But, you know, it's for Violet. And what else would I be doing on a Saturday afternoon anyway besides working on my needlepoint?

"What are they serving?" I asked her.

She laughed.

"Of course, you would ask that. It's supposed to be spaghetti and meatballs," she read off the menu.

"I love Italian food," I told her.

"Ever since you fell in love with Tony DeFranco when you were like 11 years old and you found out he was Italian," Violet teased.

"My goodness I haven't thought about him in years," I told her laughing.

"That's when you got your type," she joked.

I rolled my eyes.

"Let's wash up and go out to the dining hall," I told her.

And so, we cleaned up and went to the dining hall.

People were already eating and conversing with each other. 

"Oh good you stayed," one of the nurses remarked as she walked by me and Violet.

"Yes anything for her," I gestured to her.

Violet and I stood in line and got our food. 

We enjoyed our food and then we were walking back to her room when we got stopped.

"Violet, (Y/N)," I heard from behind us.

We turned around and it was "Ralph." I knew I had to keep his secret till he was ready to tell me. Or to even tell Violet.  Though it was all over the papers, the National Enquire he entered rehab. But, he didn't want me to know for some reason.

"Hey, how are you?" I asked him.

"I'm good I just wanted to say hi.  I hadn't seen you two all morning," Andy replied.

"Oh well hi," I remarked chuckling.

"She's crazy I promise you she was born this way," Violet told him.

I nudged her.

"Hey," I told her.

"What? I wouldn't have it any other way," she told him. 

"You guys are sisters?" he asked.

"Not by blood but yes technically," I told him.

"We met in preschool," Violet told him as we began walking to her room.

"A lot of my friends are way older than me. I never really made friends in school. If you couldn't tell I'm not from America," he remarked.

"Oh? I didn't notice," I pretended to not realize his accent.

"Yeah I'm English by birth but I grew up mainly in Australia," he told me.

Violet was just nodding in response. I'm sure he told the group all this at the first meeting for AA.

"Oh, nice. I've always wanted to go to the land down under," I commented.

He laughed.

"Lots of weird bugs but it's a nice country," he told me as we arrived at Violet's room.

I glanced down at my watch. I honestly should get going.

"Violet I should get going. I have some errands to do," I told her.

She sighed.

"I'll see you next time," Andy told me.

"See you later," I told him as I waved as he walked away.

"Same time next week?" she asked I gave her another hug.

"Yes until the day you walk with your medallion for completing the course," I told her as she smiled at me.

"Take care and I'll talk to you later," Violet told me,

"No, you take care. You got this," I reminded her as I walked out of the room.

Another week gone by.