Chapter 76

I woke up to the smell of coffee and bacon. And the best part, the sun was peeking in which meant it was way after 7 at least.

It was my first official day of break. I guess Andy couldn't sleep anymore.

I sat up, stretched, and found my robe to head to the kitchen.

I snuck up on Andy who was concentrated at the stove.

I wrapped my arms around him from behind.

"Jesus you scared me," he commented, tensing up in the hug.

"I'm sorry," I told him as I kissed his shoulder.

"I thought I'd surprise you with breakfast in bed but you surprised me first," he commented chuckling.

"Ooopsies?" I commented as I let go of the embrace.

"It's okay I just wanted to do something nice for you since it's your first day off," he told me as he turned the bacon off and put it on a paper towel.

"I cannot believe my body let me sleep in," I told him as I stifled a yawn.

I headed to the coffee pot.

"I'm glad you did darling," Andy told me as he embraced me in a hug from behind.

"I mean except for your AA meeting today, it's a free-for-all," I commented as I stirred my cup of coffee.

"I like the sound of that. We also should think about packing 'cause our flights are Monday mid-day," Andy told me.

"Oh true well what sort of weather is like in Florida during March or April? Humid?" I asked.

"Well for someone like you darling, definitely humid," he told me as I sipped my coffee.

I glanced at the counter and realized he had made pancakes too.

"Wait hold on, you made pancakes too?" I asked as I looked at him.

"Yes they aren't the best but I wanted to give you a nice breakfast. I don't think we've really ever had breakfast in bed," he told me.

"No, we haven't that I can recollect," I told him.

"Well, we are gonna have to do it more often. Now, go back to bed with your coffee and I'll make sure to come with a breakfast tray for you," he told me lovingly.

"Okay okay," I commented chuckling.

And so, I complied with Andy's request. I went back to bed and got comfy as Andy wanted to do the romantic gesture.

I turned the TV on as background noise. Soon, Andy came in with the tray. He even had a single red rose in a little vase.

"You outdid yourself," I told him as he put the tray across my lap.

"Thanks, darling anything for you," he told me as he kissed the top of my head.

"I appreciate you more than you know," I told him as he disappeared back into the hall and to the kitchen to get his food.

Quickly, he joined me back in the bedroom.

I waited to start eating till he joined me.

"How is the food?" he asked as he settled next to me.

"I waited for you to join me so I don't know," I told him chuckling.

He laughed.

"You didn't have to wait for me," he told me as grabbed his cup to drink some coffee.

"It just seemed the polite thing to do," I told him as I began to cut into the pancakes.

I had just put a lot of butter and salt on them. And some strawberry syrup, my favorite.

Andy looked at me and waited for a reaction.

"Well?" he asked.

I finished chewing before replying.

Honestly, they were really good.

"Really good honey. Like I'm not surprised you know how to cook," I told him.

He sighed in relief.

"I was worried if they would taste burnt cause at first I got the pan too hot," he commented as he cut into his pancakes.

"They are perfect honey you shouldn't have worried at all," I told him reassuringly.

He smiled at me.

"Thanks, darling," he told me as he took his first bite of breakfast.

We sat and ate contently while the TV contributed to background noise.

After a while, we both put our breakfast trays on the floor. I wasn't ready to start the day yet.

"What do you have in mind for the day?" Andy asked after we readjusted.

"I don't have anything in mind. I mean today's the first day in years I don't have a schedule. Well except your AA meeting," I told him.

"It's nice to have some sort of schedule I bet but my goodness darling you were working late for the last 2 months off and on. You can see in your eyes how tired you are," he commented as he looked at me.

He swiped his thumb under my eyes.

"I know but the money is great to have. Plus, if I hadn't, I wouldn't be able to sit comfortably here for the next two weeks without my nest egg," I told him. 

"That's a good point darling I mean I know money makes the world go round nowadays anyhow," he remarked as he stopped holding my face.

"Well ABBA said it best years ago, it's a rich man's world," I remarked.

He chuckled at my comment.

"I forget ABBA was ever a band even though I worked with them a couple of times in my career," he replied.

"How could you forget they existed?" I asked him.

"They've been almost broken up for 5 years, that's how," he told me.

"Damn it's really strange how time flies," I remarked.

I looked at the clock and it was approaching 9. I was surprised my body wasn't in flight or fight system.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked me as he noticed my stare at the clock.

"How a week ago I would be on my 3rd cup of coffee running around an office," I quietly remarked.

"And?" he asked.

"And how I don't feel like I'm stuck and I'm headed towards a new beginning in my career," I replied.

Andy smiled.

"One thing I learned from my therapist and AA is that talking things out even if it is not an anxiety thing helps your brain train certain memories as good instead of trauma," he told me.

"How did you get to be so wise?" I asked him.

"Having you in my life and putting it back on the right track," he told me.

I smiled as the new day dawned in my life.