Chapter 92

"I cannot believe it's only less than a month till I see you," Violet told me over the phone.

I had just received a package from her. She sent so many Amsterdam goodies. She sent Stroopwafels. She even found a little Van Gogh art key chain for me. The time zone difference always got me.  When it was only 2 here, Violet was already ready in bed. Like today, it was already well after 2 here in Cali. And Violet probably had just settled into bed. 

"I know I'm counting down the days. It's been rough all summer without you," I told her.

Violet sighed.

"I know but at least for a few days next month, we will get to be with each other and have so much gossip to spill," she joked.

I smiled as if she could see me.

"Right. If that makes sense," I told her this summer didn't summer like previous summers.

"No, I felt that too. It was weird here cause it felt a bit cooler to me. I mean the locals told us the summers aren't anything like Caribbean and stuff," Violet told me.

"Do you get a lot of rain?" I asked her.

"Yeah, we are supposed to get a lot of rain tomorrow. The only thing is I learned I do have naturally curly hair and it's nice how the curls turn out after I wash my hair," she told me.

"When was the last time you flat-ironed your hair?" I asked her.

"Probably in like 2 months? I've been embracing everything natural. It takes me less time in the morning and I'm out the door quicker for classes," Violet told me as Andy walked into the living room.

He had been on a walk with Sam. 

"Who sent that?" Andy asked as he gestured to the box.

"Violet," I whispered.

"Oooh okay," he remarked as he disappeared to wash up.

"Anyhow I know it's probably getting late over there so I should probably let you go," I commented to Violet.

"Aw yeah true I do have classes tomorrow," she told me.

She was taking classes all summer to get ahead for graduation.

"Okay well take care and I'll talk to you soon okay?" I told her.

"You do the same. You take care," she told me.

"Bye," I remarked as we hung up.

Andy around this time came back.

"What did Violet send you?" he asked as he sat down with the box.

"Lots of snacks and a few gift-gifts. Like this Van Gogh key chain," I showed him.

It had the "Starry Night" painting.

"What are these?" he asked picking up a package.

It was black circles.

"I think it's licorice?" I answered as I grabbed the letter she had sent.

She wrote down everything in English for me. I could not understand a word of Dutch.

"Black licorice I'd assume," he remarked as he looked through the rest of the stuff.

"Don't open the stroopwafels without me," I told him.

"I won't darling," Andy replied chuckling.

"Those are my favorite. That's why she sent 2," I told him.

"Are we supposed to eat this?" Andy asked jokingly.

He pulled out a metal iron that had small circles in it.

"That metal thing? It's to make like mini pancakes she said in the letter," I told him.

"Mini pancakes? Hmmm," he remarked.

"I think it's cool how culturally influenced Violet has become," I told him as he opened the bag of black licorice.

I wasn't a huge fan so I hoped Andy was.

"They smell okay," he commented.

"I really don't like licorice," I remarked as he handed me one.

"Let's just taste it," he told me as he popped it in his mouth.

I did the same.

After a second, I was overwhelmed with the flavor.

I spat it out while Andy proceeded to keep it in his mouth.

"Bleh," I remarked.

"It's not too terrible," Andy commented.

Just as he spoke, his entire mouth was turning black from the candy.

"Your mouth is turning colors," I remarked.

"Wait really?" he asked as he stood up to look in the mirror.

"Yes," I commented.

He opened his mouth and shook his head.

"Okay that's gross," he remarked as he went to spit the candy out.

"It's not gross just wonder what sort of dye they put in the candy for it to do that?" I asked.

"Who knows," he remarked as he took a drink of water.

His teeth were also tinted temporarily till it either faded or he brushed his teeth.

"I think I'm gonna go brush my teeth," he remarked through gritted teeth.

I chuckled at him as he disappeared to the bathroom.

I went and put my new Van Gogh keychain on my keys. Along with the snacks, I went and put those up in the kitchen. I hid the extra package of strooplewafels cause knowing Andy, he'd sneak them without me around.

I went and joined him in the bathroom and rinsed my mouth out. The licorice taste lignered.

"Better?" he asked as he opened his mouth.

"No," I commented.

"What do you mean no?" he asked as he looked at himself in the mirror.

I gently pulled him by the necklace.

"What?" he asked.

I kissed him.

"Now that's better," I told him.

He chuckled.

"Such a tease," he remarked.

"So what?" I asked as I left the bathroom.

"Geez darling you just kiss and go around here don't you?" he asked.

I laughed.

"What?" I asked him.

"It made much more sense in my head," he replied as we stood in the bedroom looking at each other.

"Both of us equally say things that are confusing and funny," I told him.

"Definitely," he remarked as we left the bedroom.

"I put the snacks up. If you like the licorice candy, be my guest and have them all to yourself," I
 told him.

"It's not bad but I don't think I'll be eating anymore," he told me as we went to the living room.

"I did put the other snacks in the cabinet closest to the coffee pot just so you know," I told him.

"Sounds good darling," he remarked.

Here was to the rest of the countdown till we went to Croatia.