Babysitting

A/N this one's a bit more of a feel good relationship highlight. With a pinch of Dashton ofc

"Thanks for looking after Peri for me," Pearl smiled, walking to the Gup D.

"You sure you'll be okay with that?" Tweak asked, looking hesitant to give Pearl control of the Gup that her brother was so apparently fond of crashing.

"I'll be fine," laughed Pearl. "Sea otters are wonderfully talented at handling fidgety things. Shellington is just a rather wild shot from the rest of us."

"Hey!" protested Shellington. "Wild shot?"

"I mean, you can't even eat urchins. Well, you're okay at swimming and holding your breath, so I guess that makes up for it almost."

"Almost?" Shellington feigned shock, while Dashi, standing nearby, was genuinely shocked. Shellington never let anyone tease him about such sensitive topics. Well, sisterly privileges, Dashi guessed.

"Kidding," laughed Pearl. "Thanks for doing this little bro." Pearl hugged her brother. 

"No problem," replied Shellington. "The Octonauts have babysat Kwazii on coffee before, and he only almost burnt down the Octopod. Peri should be a pushover."

"Haha, well I'm going to go now or else my day off will be wasted. See you!"

Shellington let go of Pearl and she hopped into the Gup D. Waving off Shellington's worries and Dashi and Tweak's instructions, she expertly started up the Gup, notably remembering the windscreen. Tweak pulled down on the Octohatch lever and Pearl drive out, waving as she left.

"Well," said Dashi, some five seconds after the Octohatch had closed. "Let's see what Peri's up to."

***

After briefly greeting his uncle, Periwinkle had hopped into an Octochute and made his way to the lab, of all places. When Shellington, Dashi and Tweak arrived at the lab, he was sitting on the floor playing with a toy car.

Shellington breathed a huge sigh of relief realising nothing had been broken.

Suddenly, the Octoalert sounded. Peri jumped up excitedly. 

"Uncle Shellington! Uncle Shellington! An actual real-life Octoalert!"

"Yes Peri," laughed the scientist, ruffling his nephews head affectionately. "We'd best go up to HQ to see what it's all about."

The Octonauts and Peri ran out to the lift, appearing in HQ.

"Octonauts," the Captain was saying. "I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome Periwinkle to the Octopod for the day." Collective clapping. "But there's also a real emergency."

"What is it Captain?" Peso asked anxiously.

"Current shift. We just wanted to make sure no one's hurt. I'll need you, Peso, and Kwazii to go with me to check it out."

"Yes sir!"

"Can I go?" Peri asked eagerly?

"No, it might be dangerous," said Shellington immediately. Peri looked down for a moment, but didn't press it further. Although no one said it, all the Octonauts were impressed at the lack of further complaining or interest. Both Pinto and Koshi had pushed it until the Captain had relented or had simply stowed away. 

"The rest of you, I assume you're alright with looking after Periwinkle while we're out."

"Of course Cap," Tweak laughed. Shellington and Dashi pulled up the mission contact on the computer for emergency messages. Just in case.