prologue

flashback (chloe's POV)

"BABY! PLEASE, COME BACK!" I scream down the phone, my heart pounding in my chest.

I run after the cab, followed by Aubrey and Fat Amy. The rain is coming down fast, altering our visibility.

"We're not quick enough, Chloe. Let her go." Aubrey tells me, catching up to me and putting her hand on my shoulder. "No. I can't lose her."

I speed up, trying my hardest to catch up to the taxi.

"BECA, DON'T PUT THE PHONE DOWN ON ME! PLEASE, I LOVE YOU! GET OUT OF THAT CAB AND COME BACK TO ME!" I continue to yell down at my phone, but I hear the beep to indicate that she's ended the call.

Out of nowhere, a huge truck speeds out into the taxi that Beca is in, sending it flying, spinning over and over.

"BECA!" I scream, my voice high. I drop to my knees and the tears start flooding. Aubrey stops beside me, her own eyes glazed with tears, and puts her arms around me.

Amy dials 911, then runs towards the wreck of a cab that's left. The truck owner gets out, and when I see who it is I cry out again.

Jesse fucking Swanson.

"You...YOU LITTLE FUCKING BITCH!" I yell, rushing towards him. He seems pretty shaken up like it was an accident, but something isn't right about him. Its like he's taken something, like drugs or maybe he's drank too much. It doesn't matter anymore.

I punch him straight in the jaw with my right hand, causing him to stumble and fall. "What the heck Chloe?" he asks, but he's grinning. "What the fuck do you mean? Don't act innocent. Do you even know what you've just done?" Aubrey demands, stepping between us. "No?" the Treble asks, infuriating both me and Aubrey. "Beca was in that fucking cab..she's...she's.." I mumble, but I can't find the words.

"Uh, guys?" I hear the blonde Aussie saying behind us. She's stood next to the back passenger side door, peering through the window. "Yeah?" I ask, suddenly feeling hopeful. "The driver hit his head quite obviously, and I think he died on impact..but even if Beca was in the side that was hit, I think..her chest is still moving. She was sat right in the back, but she's breathing."

"That's good. Amy, can you...can you get the door open?" I ask quietly. But she shakes her head. "No can do. I think it crushed against her and wrapped around her right arm and right leg. I can try the other side? I think that door is almost fully broken off."

I nod quickly and Amy walks to the other side, then she pulls the door gently causing it to fall off basically instantly. "Wait, let me go in. I know some first aid stuff." I say, and Amy moves to let me get in. I slide in and check Beca for a pulse.

"Okay. She's unconscious but alive. And it looks like she got some really bad injuries..and yeah, that guy...he's pretty dead." I mumble, then I try pulling Beca gently. Her limp body flops towards me, her head landing in my lap. I lift it up, then pull her really gently towards me.

"And...holy shit, her leg is like, completely stuck in there..and it's pretty much crushed." I say, and Amy panics. We hear sirens in the background, then hear Jesse yelling at Aubrey.

"YOU CALLED THE FUCKIN' POLICE ON ME? HUH?!" I hear a loud thud, then Aubrey crying out in pain. Amy goes over and I think she restrains Jesse until the police get closer, and paramedics rush to help Beca.