Chapter 36

"Mafia??" I squeaked.

"Mafia wants me? Because of Oliver?" I whispered, my voice barely audible. I'm sure my eyes were wide like saucers by now from my shock.

"Decided to drop your act, huh?" He said, with a knowing smirk. "No more, Mr. Carlton?" He asked in his mocking voice.

I frowned at him in annoyance.

"I'm not lying, ok! I'm seriously not his girlfriend! He was with his girlfriend the last time I saw him! If you know so much about him then why don't you know that?" I was almost shouting at this point from shere frustration. "I was just a.. just a... fling." The words felt bitter in my mouth, and I felt humiliated saying them outloud.

It broke my heart all over again as I realized that the man I had respected so much had treated me as just a fling.

I hung my head in mortification, cursing the fact that I'm stuck here instead of out there getting myself out of the demeaning position my life was in.

I tried pulling my wrists out of the tightly wound rope again, close to tears as I remembered that Liam was still at that mansion where he wasn't wanted.

I had to get out, I had to!

I lifted my head to look up at him with pleading eyes.

"I don't know why you hate Mr Carlton so much, but please, I promise you, you won't get anything by keeping me here. I really am nothing to him, so please, please let me go." I pleaded.

"Tisk, tisk. Women can speak so low of themselves to get themselves out of trouble. Your such weaklings. Thanks for reminding me why I have no respect for women." He said, making a face at me and backing away, turning around to leave.

"Wait! I'm really not lying. Please confirm for yourself. You have the wrong person." I begged desperately.

"Enough! Women are so pathetic! I swear, I find you all so annoying!" He barked loudly, making me jump in my seat. "I'm done here! I have more important things to do than listen to you whine. I have to give your precious love a call. I can't wait to hear him begging for me to release you." He said with an evil laugh.

I stared at him in disbelief before uttering the words, "You're dillusional."

I wish I had bit my tongue instead of saying those words as I felt a sharp sting as his giant hand landed a hard slap on my face.

The chair almost fell from the force, but I leaned forward quickly to catch my balance. A fall in this position could hurt a lot.

Not that my face wasn't already hurting like hell. I couldn't even open my left eye from the pain.

Goodness! Overreact much? I had even thought of saying he was crazy, but I was so glad I hadn't, as I stared at him huffing and puffing.

I'm sorry, I know I should take this situation more seriously, but it's hard to when you have to talk to overgrown boys.

"Do you even know who you're calling dillusional?" He almost shrieked.

"Who are you?" I asked in a tired and bored voice, although I was really curious.

"I am the reason that your beloved Oliver has such serious trust issues!" He answered, still breathing hard. "Tell me, has he let you in his room yet?" He asked smugly and nodded in satisfaction at my lack of a response.

"If I were you, I would be really afraid, little lady, cause Carlton is sure afraid of me." He said with an evil grin, leaving me with a million questions in my brain but with one realization.

I had only been in Oliver's room twice, and both those times, he had been annoyed with me for being there.
Now that he mentioned it, I remember how it was a rule to never leave the office unlocked. And their were lockers in his office, which were always locked and for which only he had access.

As he was a lawyer, I never thought much of his rules before, but this unknown guy left putting a million doubts in my head.

Who really was this guy? What had happened in Oliver's past that he had trust issues with everyone?

I remembered that only one housekeeper was allowed in his room for cleaning. And that stupid week we had spent sleeping with each other, never even once had he invited me to his room. He had always come to mine.

He never shared his past with me. Not even his love life.

Except for the fact that he was once in the military, Oliver Carlton was a complete mystery to me.

.........

It felt like a whole entire day had gone by before I heard noises outside the door again.

I was so tired, hungr, and thirsty. No one had come to offer me anything. Not even a way to relieve myself. I was feeling desperate at this point.

I had been screaming, asking for someone, anyone, that I could convince that this was all a mistake. By now, I felt like I had no strength at all, left in me.

For God's sakes was that man the only one here?

My question was soon answered as the door squeaked open, and several men stepped inside.

"You are one determined lady. You have disturbed our boss enough that he has given up and sent us to take care of you." Said one of them.

Oh crap! I thought as I stared up at five burly and ominous looking men staring creepily down at me....