Chapter 4

I spent the weekend relaxing. I did my choas, spent quality time catching up with my son, watched Netflix, and caught up on the gossip with Mrs Evans.

Monday rolled in way too soon, and I was back, sitting behind my desk, sipping coffee - which was nowhere near as good as my mocha -finishing all my work before Mr Carlton returned the next day.

Since he wasn't here, I had the whole office area all to myself. Each executive had their own areas, which were like separate rooms. The secretaries sat in the outer rooms but still had their privacy from other executive's offices. They all look identical except that the two partners had larger offices.

I got interrupted from my work when Mr. Richard's secretary walked into my office. I looked up, surprised at seeing her here.

"Hey Ashley, how are you enjoying your free day from the boss." She asked in an overly friendly voice.

My head tipped to the side as I looked at her perplexed. She had never come by ever before and especially not on a social visit.

"It's going good. I'm just completing some pending work. What brings you here, Jenna?" I asked her politely, pushing my glasses up higher on my nose. I don't normally need glasses. I just need it when reading. I wear them to work. It helps to create a barrier between me and other people.

"Well.." She began, licking her lips and giving out a nervous laugh. "I have something that I need you to give Mr Carlton." She said. She wouldn't meet my eyes, as she fidgeted nervously on her feet.

"Ok... something related to a case?" I asked, wondering why she had to be nervous about delivering a case file or something.

"No..ummm..this is personal. " She told me, as she looked down at her feet.

My eyes widened in surprise, and I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out, so it was left open.

She hurriedly came forward, giving me a slip of paper folded in half. "Don't read that! And keep it on Mr Carlton's desk for him tomorrow morning," and then she was gone. Just like that. Leaving me staring at the folded paper in my hand, still with my mouth open.

Oh God. I really hope Jenna hadn't taken an interest in Mr Carlton. Giving me the letter to pass it to him puts me in the middle of this. What do I do? Should I throw it? No. That won't be right. It's his call, not mine. I will just give this one and let him decide what I should do if she sends any more.

Deciding on that, I put the paper in my drawer and went back to work.

........

The next day, I came into the office at my usual time. I got back my car and enjoyed driving Liam to school and was even able to get my mocha before I came to work. Oh, how I had missed my favorite mocha while my car was out of service. It was too far and out of the way for me to walk there each morning.

I made Mr. Carlton's coffee and took it to his office, not forgetting the little note that Jenna had given.

I put his coffee in its usual place and wondered where to keep the note. As soon as I placed it on the desk, it flew off.

I huffed in annoyance as I went around the desk searching for it. Couldn't Jenna have written it on a bigger paper for God's sake.

I couldn't find it anywhere, so I went under the table, searching underneath its drawers. As my hand touched a piece of paper, I gave a triumphant, "Yes!" Pulling it out, only to get startled by a deep, velvety voice calling my name, making me lift my head in a hurry and bang it underneath the table.

"Ouch!" I yelped.

"Are you alright?" Asked the oh so sexy, deep voice in a worried tone.

"Yeah.." I said weakly, rubbing my head as I tried coming out from underneath the table.