Chapter 34

Finally, the torturous night was over, and I was heading back to my room as fast as I possibly could. I was at the point where I would scream if I had to sit there another second with Oliver pretending I didn't exist.

I just couldn't understand what the hell was going on, but one thing was for sure. I have had enough. That man needs to give me an explanation for his behavior, and he needs to say it to my face that we are over because I don't think I can stand this a minute longer.

"Ashley."

I was just about to enter my room when that deep sexy voice stopped me. I froze, all my previous bravado gone. Now that he was finally here, finally acknowledging my presence, I didn't want to face him or speak to him. I wasn't brave enough to hear what he had to say.

I turned the knob and went to enter my room without looking at him.

"Wait! Can we talk?" He asked, but before I responded, that annoying musical voice of Sasha Richards came.

"Oli honey, you promised you will give me a ride home." Said the annoying musical voice.

I quickly darted inside and closed the door, making my escape. I'm not quite ready to have my heart completely broken just yet. Coward!

.........

I had come to work early today in order to not see anyone's face. I just wasn't up for putting on my fake smile and pretending I was ok. And I especially didn't want to see Oliver, which was stupid because once I'm at the office, I would have to see him anyway. But atleast we won't be sharing a ride together because I had no idea how I was going to be able to sit in a confined space with him while we had an audience in the form of a driver for the long ride here.

So here I am, sitting at my desk with my stomach in knots waiting for the inevitable moment.

I just couldn't understand why this was happening. What had happened between us anyway? Had it not been real? Had he been playing with me? If he had, how could he? Had he no heart?

He knew very well how hard it was for me to learn to trust again. Didn't he know that if he breaks my trust, I will never be able to trust another human being in my life ever again? Doesn't he know that it took me everything I got to find the courage to be with him? How could he do this! I felt  humiliated about how he had treated me last night and completely devastated.

I was close to tears by now, and I was searching for the tissue box which had disappeared to God knows where when I heard the office door open.

I wasn't ready! This was not the time for him to come. I didn't want him to see me in a vulnerable state. I don't want his pity! I would at least like to have my dignity even if he destroyed everything else.

I blinked really hard, not willing to turn until I had pulled myself together, but when I did, my heart almost dropped.

Standing there in her utmost elegance and beauty was Sasha. There was no sign of Oliver, I thought as I looked behind her outside. I felt doomed, as I knew that it was even worse to have to face Sasha alone. Especially with the way she was looking at me.

She was staring down at me like I was some dirty germ stuck to her branded shoes, and she was going to have so much pleasure in crushing me.

"Do you have no shame?" Was her opening line.

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"There you are, coming to work like as if nothing has happened."

I stared at her, truly dumbfounded as I couldn't understand why my coming to work should be a problem now.