Chapter 32

It's been two months. He said a couple of days, but it's been two whole months since Oliver has been gone.

His father's health had deteriorated considerably, and his mom was worrying herself sick. So, as their only son, it was understandable that he wouldn't want to leave them at a time like this.

His work, he was doing from there, and if there were any court cases that couldn't be postponed,  Mr Richards handled it. All in all, there was nothing pressing for him back here for him to have to come back quickly for. Not even me.

Things have gotten strained between us is the nicest way to put our status at the moment.

The first two weeks were fine. He called all the time, and I could call him whenever I wanted, and we enjoyed long video chats. But after two weeks, suddenly the calls started getting less, and Oliver always seemed so stressed, which was also understandable as his father wasn't getting better.

I asked if I could go to him. I didn't want him to be alone handling everything. His mother was making herself sick too by not taking enough rest, always at the hospital,  stressing over her husband's health.

I have called her often, wanting to give her support. But as for me going there, Oliver rejected it. I was hurt, and I didn't understand why, but I didn't want to be a nagging girlfriend, adding more pressure for him. I had wanted to help him not put more burden on him.

He still contacted me at office hours if he needed something, and we would talk then, but we no longer shared long talks in the night after all our duties were done.

So by now, I'm miserable and a little bit heartbroken, and I'm trying to keep my head high and keep a cheerful face for everyone. But I really missed the carefree, happy, and mischievous Oliver so very much. Especially since I discovered the night he left how deep my feelings have become for him.

I ache for him. Every single part of me yearns for him. I miss his teasing, I miss getting upset with him and him being able to melt my heart with just his smile, sweeping away all my anger, and making me forget why I was upset with him in the first place.

But then, we haven't really had any real problems as yet, so it's good that his dimpled smile can make me fine in an instant. It's just that he doesn't have time to tease me or laugh with me anymore.

With a sign, I flipped the next page of the thick law book I was reading that had been tucked away in the shelf untouched all this time.

I was at work and  It was almost time to go home. I had finished all my work, and right now, I was just killing time until it was time to clock out. I had absolutely nothing to do except read a boring law book, I thought, miserably wishing there was someone at work I had made friends with so that I wouldn't have to sit here feeling lonely.

When it was finally five in the evening, I put the book back on the shelf and walked out, grabbing my bag.

In the parking lot I found one of the other guards waiting for me instead of Felix which I found weird as for the whole two months Felix has taken me to and from work without fail, but I didn't question the guard as he too was a familiar figure and I wasn't afraid to go with him.

I smiled at him as I came closer, and he greeted me. He acknowledged my smile with a mere nod, which further discouraged me from asking any questions. We both got in the car, speeding off toward the highway on our way home.

Yes, the big, old, and grand mansion had started feeling like home to me. Not because of the mansion itself but because of the people there.

Stella was my favorite,  teaching me how to make the dishes that I really liked from all the varieties she made and also teaching me some of Oliver's favorites. We spent a lot of time in the kitchen gossiping and giggling like two high school girls.

Stella's assistant joined us a lot, of course. She was fresh out of high school, very young, and if she is there, Stella would always have her motherly mode on. I loved that about her, too. I loved the advice and care that she showed us, which filled in for the gap that I had no family at all. All in all, they made Liam and I a part of their little family, and I love coming home to them.

As the car stopped in front of the huge door to the front entrance, I scanned outside, feeling a change in the atmosphere of the house.

Everyone seemed frenzied and looked anxious as they all hurried about attending to their duties. Also, I have never seen this much activity going on outside the main house. Only guards were usually here scanning the perimeters of the garden, keeping watch.

I stepped outside quickly as I was keeping the guard waiting in the car. I looked around one last time, feeling anxious now, myself. I wondered if something bad had happened while I was gone.

Feeling alarmed at the thought, I hurried inside to go check on Liam.

In my hurry, I almost missed the frail figure passing by towards the door leading towards the dining area, but when I spotted her, I halted immediately in shock.

"Mrs Carlton?" I called out uncertainly.

She too turned hearing her name and her face immediately split into a smile which I returned as I hurried towards her, but when I hesitanted as I got near, she opened her arms out for me and I instantly ran towards her giving her a hug. She may have been miles away all this time, but it didn't stop us from getting close.

"Your back!" I exclaimed happily. "How is Mr Carlton now? Did he come too? Is he OK?" I couldn't help bombarding her with questions as my mind reeled from the sudden turn of events.

"Yes dear, we are back." She replied, chuckling. "And yes, Henry is feeling much better now, which was why we have returned.

Oliver needs to go back to work, but he wanted us close so that he could keep an eye on us.

I guess we have become too old now to be frolicking about on our own. We need to be under our son's constant supervision." She said with a pout, which made her look years younger than her seventy plus years.

I laughed at her cuteness, understanding what she felt now that she was feeling like she was under the parental care of her son. I can just imagine how bossy he must be trying to decipline his two very free spirited parents.

And then it hit me. Oliver was home!

I stood in shock, my eyes wide, unable to speak as my mind slowly digested this information.

"He is upstairs in his room." Mrs Carlton informed understanding my status. With a light pat on my shoulder, she went through the dining room doors and disappeared inside while still standing rooted to the spot.

Oh my God, he is back. He is finally back! He was just a couple of feet away from me, and now I could finally see him.

My heart raced at the possibility, and without another thought, I raced towards the stares, taking it two at a time and hurrying towards his room, bursting the door open. I was completely out of breath with the short run and I gasped for air as I searched around his room, my eyes desperate to look at his handsome face and beautiful grey eyes that always looks back at me with so much gentleness like as if I could break with a single look.

"Oliver?" I called out not too loudly, searching around the dimly lit room, my heart racing from both running up the stairs and with the anticipation of seeing him again after two whole months.

I heard a click to my right and snapped my head towards the sound as I placed my hand against my chest, trying to calm my frenzied heart. Then I finally saw him walking out from the bathroom, and I almost burst with happiness.

"Oliver." I said quietly as I smiled widely at him. He looked startled as my eyes drank him in. He had just taken a shower, and water was still dripping from his hair. His skin was still damp from the shower, and it glistened in the warm light. He looked every bit as handsome as I remembered, and I was unable to contain myself. I ran towards him, not at all registering that the look on his face.

"Ashley, what the hell are you doing in my room?" His cold voice made me stop in my tracks and for the first time really look at him and the expression on his face...

_________________________________________

Sorry about the delay. My kids were very sick this week, plus people would just not give me a quiet moment alone to write. Hope you would still like it. Let me know in the comments 🩷🩷