Chapter 2

Hours later, I closed my laptop and checked the time to see that it was seven o'clock in the night already.

I let out a tired sigh, sitting back in my chair only to bounce back upright as I heard the door to Mr Carlton's office open.

Mr Richards, the senior partner of the firm, walked out of the office.

"Good evening, Mr Richards ." I greeted him with a polite smile while he walked past me. He paused and looked back at me before he grunted out hmm and walked out.

I raised a brow at his retreating figure. The man was never friendly but he always greated back before. Oh boy! I thought, as my eyes widened. I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means.

If his bad mood meant that he had a bad meeting in there with Mr Carlton, then that would mean Mr. Carlton himself might be upset as well. He always worked double harder when he got mad, which meant I had to stay late again, I thought as I groaned inwardly as I heard him bark out my name through his intercom.

I walked into his office after knocking. He was sitting behind his desk, his sleeves rolled up, and his usually immaculate hair all tousled up. Yup. It's gonna be a long night, I thought as I watched him shoving things around on his desk, looking for something.

He looked up suddenly, and I gulped, my eyes widening as I saw his angry face. I couldn't help taking a step back, wishing I could just leave the room. My throat had gone dry, and I almost cowered under his stare. But then he closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath before he opened them again, seeming more in control.

"I can't find the Murray case file." He spoke quietly, making me nod quickly and hurry over to the shelf by the far wall.

He kept all his ongoing case files in there as it allowed him easy access, and also, for confidentiality.

I opened one of the drawers. My hand was shaking as I scanned through the various case files that were stacked in alphabetical order. I looked through them before I found a file named Murray. I pulled it out, opening and checking to make sure it's the correct one, before I quickly walked back and handed the file to him.

He let out a frustrated sigh before he took it and grunted out a thank you. I nodded and hurried out of his office so I could compose myself before he called me again. I sat down in my chair and took several deep breaths to calm my pounding heart.

Mr. Carlton has never raised his voice, nor has he lashed out in any manner towards me, but I can't help panicking when I see a man angry. Not after being married to a man with severe anger issues who was also a perfectionist.

I tried calming myself by reminding myself that it's not me he was mad at, and I was no longer in the same situation as I had been. After some time, I managed to calm down, and I remembered I had a son waiting for me at home.

I quickly messaged him, telling him I'll be late and that he could order pizza.

I kept emergency cash in the house for such days so he won't go without food.

Especially on days that I didn't feel like eating a big meal after I went home. Like today.

Liam gets adventurous sometimes and cooks extravagant meals when I'm not home, and I will have to eat that when I go home.

It was past ten thirty by the time I was let off work, and I was exhausted. I shut down the computer and collected my belongings before I dragged myself to the elevator to go to the underground car park.

As I saw my sweet little gray car, my phase became faster. I quickly got in already feeling happy to be going home.

I put my keys in the ignition, and with a huge grin on my face turned my key. I heard the noise of the engine about to start and then... silence. I tried again and again the same thing. The third time, there was a rubble before it completely died.