Chapter 23

A week has gone by now. After that night. Mr. Carlton had gone back to treating me like a normal secretary again. Only speaking about office work, and only when it's necessary.

I felt a mixture of relief and sadness. Relief because I was afraid of ever being with a man ever again of fear I might disappoint them. So it was much easier to take the cowards way out and keep away from men and be relieved to be left alone by them.

But I couldn't help feeling sad, wishing I could be with him. He was so wonderful. I have never experienced that feeling. The feeling of truly being taken care of, respected for my opinions and my boundaries, wanted for who I am on the inside and not for someone who was only good for dragging around to business parties like a trophy wife.

Sometimes I do wish to experience that feeling and so far everything I see from Mr. Carlton indicates that he is that type of person.

I just wish I was brave enough to let myself have what I'm wishing for. But even if I was, what about Liam?

I have seen Liam and Mr. Carlton spend a lot of time together. They talk a lot. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Mr. Carlton is ready for such a big commitment, and I really didn't want to see Liam hurt in any way.

Is life ever going to become less complicated? My head and my heart is full of unresolved problems too big to be resolved. How I missed the days when my biggest problem had been my constantly breaking down car.

With a sigh, I stired the pasta sauce cooking on the stove. It was almost dinner time, and I was in the kitchen helping Stella prepare dinner.

"Miss Ashley, are you alright. I hope you don't mind my asking, but you have been awfully quiet tonight, and you keep sighing over that pasta sauce. You look sad, Miss Ashley." It was Stella speaking in her rich Irsh accent.

Stella was standing by the counter busy working on a cake.

Stella was in her late fifties. She was a short and plump lady with a sweet chubby face. And with her motherly nature, no one would mind her caring ways.

I smiled at her, seeing that she looked very concerned.

"I'm fine Stella, just had a lot on my mind." I replied. "Is the cake done?" I asked her, hoping to distract her.

She had decided to bake a chocolate cake for tonight. She is still enjoying having Liam to spoil by making treats for him. I secretly loved the treats she makes as well, so I didn't really mind her spoiling my son. Although I do ask her not to make so much. But she never listens, and Mr. Carlton only encourages her.

I have been coming to the kitchen every day to help with dinner this week as I have been finishing early at work.

I loved spending time with Stella. She really is a sweetheart. She tells me her childhood stories back when she was in her homeland, and I found them very interesting to listen to as we both cooked.

Stella was putting on the frosting to the cake, and my mouth was watering now seeing the rich, chocolaty, creamy looking cake. My sweet tooth was waiting in anticipation to get a taste of that cake.

"Oh yes! Almost finished. Just a special touch for my Liam Sir." She said, adding some raspberries and chocolates. The cake looked beautiful. Like it was baked by a professional baker.

"It looks beautiful, Stella. You are really spoiling him so much. I dont think he is going to like my cooking after we go back home. But thank you, Stella. You have shown so much kindnesstowards us." I told her, feeling so much gratitude for everything that everyone here has done for Liam and I.

"Nonsense! I have done nothing! And nothing can beat a mother's cooking and don't talk about you going back to your home. My fragile old heart can't take it. I can't imagine what this house would be like without Liam Sir and you, Ms. Ashley." Stella said, clutching her ample bosom dramatically and rolling her eyes up towards the ceiling.