Chapter 9

Mr. Carlton refused to let me go on my own. His driver took me home. The driver looked more like a wrestler or at least a body builder than a driver, I thought as I sat in the backseat of Mr. Carlton's gray BMW.

As soon as we arrived, I dashed towards the Evan's house asking for Liam. I dragged him home quickly and sat him down, and told him everything. Except, of course, the details of his father's horrific side businesses.

He definitely didn't want to go back to his father, but was wary about going to stay in a complete strangers house, but him being a perceptive and dutiful child, he finally agreed, somewhat reluctantly. Especially when I told him that his father's people had already made themselves at home on our street.
But still, he managed to be his overprotective and annoying self, being a hundred percent sure that Mr. Carlton had an ulterior motive behind helping us. He was sure Mr Carlton had a thing for me.

I almost burst out laughing at the thought.
Mr Carlton was like a Greek God. The apitome of perfection. I felt like ugly duckling next to him. There was no way he would look twice at someone like me. I couldn't help snickering at the very thought.

We packed as quickly as we possibly could, making sure to take only the essentials. We were done by the time the driver came back with Mr Carlton.

Mr Carlton was in the backseat, so Liam took the front seat while I sat in the back, beside Mr Carlton. As usual, sitting in a confined place with Mr Carlton was extremely uncomfortable, but he was busy on the phone and didn't seem to even notice when I got in.

But as soon as Liam got on, he put his phone down and turned all his attention towards my son, introducing himself.

"Hi Liam, I'm Oliver Carlton. I'm sorry about having to inconvenience you by taking you away from your home at a time like this. I heard your tournament is starting." Mr. Carlton spoke in a kind and friendly manner that was so unlike him, but it seemed to come to him naturally.

Liam turned around in his seat, seemingly just as startled as I was, I mean, how did he know about his tournament. I know he can easily find out considering the situation, but still, to concern himself with these details.. this man never ceases to surprise me, that's for sure. I stared at him with my mouth agape. Mr Carlton glanced at me, gave a quizzical looked and turned back to Liam.

"Thank you, Mr Carter, it's very kind of you to help us." Liam told him politely. "Wait!" He suddenly said, his eyes widening, "I can still go to school and basket practice, right?" My heart went out to him, seeing his face. He looked so heartbroken at the thought of missing school and practice. I knew how much it meant to him, as a child who had never been able to go to school before and had missed out on so much in life.

Mr Carlton let out a big sigh, not wanting to be the one to break his heart, but I admired him for the way he spoke, managing to reason with Liam and being so considerate of his feelings.

"I'm sorry, Liam. I wish there was another way. But just like at home, he can very easily take you from school as well. As he is your father. But I promise it won't be for long, and I will make sure to talk with your couch and principal, to make them understand your situation so you can participate in the tournament even if you miss some practices.

In the meantime, I'm trying my best to fast forward the investigation so that he could be dealt with and you can go back to your normal life. I hope you will be patient with me on this.

Oh and ofcause your friends are always welcome to visit. There is no danger in that. You wouldn't be forced to stay by yourself. Also, there is a basketball court in my house that you are free to use anytime you want." He finished, leaving us both stunned.