Chapter 7

"M.. Mr. Carlton!" I chocked out, staring up at him, in horror.

He was frozen on the spot, from when I had pushed away from him. His arms still outstretched since from when he was holding me. He looked startled, unsure of what to do next, before he put his arms down.

I looked down at his shirt. It was wrinkled from where I had been clutching it and wet from all my tears. I gasped, my hand going to my mouth. What have I done? I can't believe I was bowling my eyes out in my bosses arms. My eyes went up to his eyes in panic.

"I..I'm so sorry -" I couldn't complete the sentence before I chocked up again. I made it to run towards the bathroom, desperately needing to get some control over myself, but as I tried to pass by him, he grabbed my elbow, dragging me towards his office. I tried protesting, but he wasn't hearing it.

Once we were inside, he closed the door, pushing me down to sit on the sofa. He then left me there to get me a glass of water. I took it with both my hands, fearing it might fall with how shaky my hands were.

After several sips, I put it down, wiping at my tears to fix myself up as best I could. A tissue box was placed in front of me. I couldn't look at him. I just thanked him and grabbed some tissues wiping my face.

We sat there quietly for about fifteen minutes while he waited for me to calm down enough to talk. After some time, I heard him clear his throat, making me stiffen.

"So, you want to tell me what's going on?" He asked in his deep voice.

I instantly shook my head, keeping my head down.

"Ashley, come on." He coaxed gently, making me look up into his eyes.

He was sitting on the sofa, at the very edge, giving me enough space, but he was still near enough for me to be comforted by his presence, and it confused me as to why I felt safe and comforted around him. I had lost all my trust in men after David.

He was facing me, his eyes looking into mine, gently prodding me for answers. I bit my lip, not knowing what to do. I had never confided in anyone about my problems. I had never really trusted anyone to share my burden with them. Except for one, and look where that got me. And in Mr Carlton's case, he was my boss. I couldn't possibly share my personal problems with him.

"Ashley," he probed again. "Please talk to me. I have known you for a whole year now and I have never seen you like this before. You have always been strong, keeping your personal problems to yourself. So if you were to break down like this, I'm sure it's something big, and I can't ignore it, Ashley. You looked so scared when you got that message. Did something happen to someone." I shook my head silently. I kept chewing my lips and wringing my hands nervously, thinking of David and how to get Liam and I out of this situation.

I kept thinking of wild ideas like running away with him. Changing our names and looks. But that would just make David more angry, and if he catches us, I don't know what he would do.

"Ashley!" He said, grabbing my hands in his stopping my fidgeting. I looked up at him in surprise. "Tell me what's making you this scared. I can help, you know that." He got interrupted by another ting on my phone that made me jump in my seat, my eyes widening. "For God's sakes, Ashley, who is messaging you? Is someone threatening you over the phone?"

His question made my eyes widen further before I looked at my phone that was lying on the seat, in wonder. I guess you could say those messages were threatening. He was proposing that we go back to live in the prison he had created for us.

Mr. Carlton touched my face, turning it back to look at him. His voice had gotten very serious as he questioned me, I guess he had come to the conclusion that I was getting threatening messages. "Who is it? Is it someone you know?" My silence made him give out a frustrated sigh. He looked away, running a hand through his hair.