|Chapter 33|

Chapter 33: "Intrigue Beneath the Christmas Lights: A Whisper of Unseen Perils"

December 20, 1987
Author POV

The afternoon sun beamed on the city Encino, California casting long shadows across the streets as it began its descent towards the horizon. Michael sat in studio of the Hayvenhurst Compound, tapping his pen back and forth, While Marlon deep baritone played through the speakers as he sang in the booth "How does that sound Michael" he called out to him through the headphones.

"Oh yeah it sounds fine" he said sounding disinterested. Marlon sighed placing his headphones on the mic and exiting the booth. He looked at Michael with a concerned expression. "Mike, something's bothering you. You've been off all day. What's going on?"

Michael sighed, running a hand through his hair. " I'm thinking about proposing to Amahle." He said furrowing his brows Marlon raised an eyebrow. "Proposing? That's a big step, Mike." He grinned, but he could tell something was still off "why are you making that face, what's wrong you should feel happy that you feel that way" he said leaning against the door frame.

He sighed and looked down at the console fidgeting with one of the tuners, "You don't think it's too soon" He confessed. Marlon crossed his arms, studying Michael. "Look, Mike, everyone moves at their own pace in relationships. If you feel it's right, then it's not too soon. But what's really bothering you?"

Michael hesitated before sharing, "What if she says no Marlon, with everything that's going on I wouldn't be surprised if she did. The tour, her going back to college, then Darren...what if she goes back with him when she goes back..." he whispered the last part aloud.

Marlon placed a hand on Michael's shoulder, offering reassurance. "Mike, you can't let fear hold you back from what you truly want. If you love Amahle and you're ready for this step, then go for it. Don't let the uncertainties overshadow your happiness. Besides, I've seen the way she looks at you and how she treats you; I doubt she'd say no." Michael looked up, meeting Marlon's eyes, gratitude evident in his gaze.

"Thanks, Marlon. I needed to hear that. I guess I'm just overthinking things." Marlon chuckled, giving Michael's shoulder a reassuring squeeze. "We all do, Mike. It's normal. Just follow your heart, and everything will fall into place." Encouraged by Marlon's words, Michael took a deep breath, a sense of determination settling within him. He nodded in agreement, and Marlon clasped his hands

"Alright let's get back to perfecting this track" he said walking back into the booth. While the afternoon sun continued casting a warm glow on the Hayvenhurst Compound, Amahle found herself strolling the strip of Rodeo Drive. Amahle's footsteps echoed against the polished pavement as she navigated the luxurious shopping district. The opulence of Rodeo Drive was a stark contrast to the humble beginnings she had experienced.

As she passed by storefronts adorned with haute couture displays, Amahle couldn't help but marvel at the extravagant items that seemed to belong to a different world. The glimmering showcases held dresses that cost more than a month's rent, and accessories that were worth more than some people's yearly income.