Prowl

"Where?" Frances asked as she tried to peek out the window, but Emmanuel moved her away from it for her safety.

"In the forest. Bob has bound the cottage and you should, too... "

Frances began to chanting to bind herself, the cottage, and her lover.

"I don't think he'll come in here," Emmanuel said, "He seems to be staying out of the way."

Frances wrapped her arms around Emmanuel and sighed into him with abundant fatigue.

"He won't for long," Frances said, "I know it.."

Bob decided to retreat to the guest room so Frances and Emmanuel could have time to themselves.

"My father will try anything to get to you, my love," Emmanuel told her, "We must stay inside until he has departed."

Frances smiled, "I guess if he never departs, nor do we."

Emmanuel could feel his father get further away and then come back again.

"He's trying to see if he wants you, but I know he does."

Frances nodded, "Yes, I know.."

Emmanuel sighed, "I can't allow you.."

Frances put a finger to his lips, "No more. We won't leave the cottage until it's time. We have what we need here and if we absolutely do need something, I will send Bob."

Lucien lingered for days close to the cottage---antagonizing them, but the three didn't let it get to them.

They went about their lives as if Lucien didn't exist—sending Bob in the opposite direction to give word to their allies until one day, Emmanuel's father left.

"I am happy it's just the two of us again," Emmanuel admitted.

Frances nodded, "Me, too...we've been practicing quite a bit for that baby."

Emmanuel smiled, "That has been a bonus I've enjoyed."

It wasn't long before they were accompanied again by Bob, but his presence was nice.

"Will this be what it's like to have a child?" Emmanuel teased as he watched Bob scowl.

"Sir, I am no child," Bob snorted, "I am one hundred and fifty years young."

Frances buttered Bob a piece of bread before the rat retreated to his room.

"He's a character," Emmanuel said, "But he's a good...rodent if that's saying something."

Frances smiled, "He's an exceptional ally and a wonderful familiar. I am blessed."

Emmanuel grinned, "I'm the blessed one."

"We will leave sooner than expected," Frances said, "I know it's not what we wanted, but it'll have to do. We must strike Lucien sooner than later, but you have to let me in on what type of warrior he is."

"He's no warrior—he's just evil,"Emmanuel said, "What we need to do is play his game—it might bide us time."

"You think that's a good idea?"

"I am hoping it's a good idea," Emmanuel admitted, "I have no other options at this point."

"We just go in as a ruse?" Frances was wary of that idea.

"Got any other plans?" Emmanuel raised an eyebrow and tilted his head to the side, "I am all ears, my love."

Frances thought about it, "Do you think your village is a match for my coven?"

"They are a match, but I am not sure they have it in them to take you all down."

Frances sighed. She was hesitant to make her coven fight in a battle just because she was in love with a demon.

"Maybe I shouldn't.."

Emmanuel shook his head, "Don't you dare say it. We love each other and your sisters said they'd fight for us, yes?"

"Yes, but,-"

"Do not sacrifice yourself for me."

"I don't want people to die because of my love for you, Manny.."

Bob reappeared and took another seat at the table.

"People are already invested in this, my lady," he told her, "You will not be doing anythng to them they aren't willing to do—they want to provide for you as your family, as allies. Devonia will not stop until she helps you succeed. There is no backing down."

"Even if he's a demon?"

Bob smiled, "Well, he's your demon.."

"My demon..." Frances smiled, "Always.."

"Marry me then," Emmanuel blurted out, "Marry me when all of this is over—marry me and have my children, Frances. We'll make a home—it'll be filled with joy and laughter..."

"And me!" Bob chuckled.

Frances's bottom lip trembled as she gripped Emmanuel's hand, "We will survive this—we will have that wedding and our children and our baby will be so happy."

"So...are you pregnant with my child, sweet pea?" Emmanuel felt his heart skip a million beats.

"I felt her kick this morning, Manny.. Frances said, "I have no doubt that a child grows inside of me."

"Her?"

"Her..." Frances said, "I know this is sudden—I do! I wasn't planning on it...I still have my tea..I saw her...in my dreams last night and she looks so much like you!"

"It was meant to be then," Emmanuel smiled, "You will be an amazing mother, Frances."

His terror crept in—would he be able to take care of this child or would he be like his father? His rage was still there—the same rage that his father exhibited all of Emmanuel's life.

"You aren't him," Frances reassured him, "You're,-"

Bob jumped up from the table and ran to the window.

"We have company."