•Love or insanity•

LVI

LVI. Love or insanity.

Jacob dragged me by the hand back to Emily and Sam's place. I struggled to keep up with him and his fast pace, and I stumbled a bit. I was constantly looking around me, hit with fear at the thought of Victoria lurking around. Edward would warn me if she was around, wouldn't he? If it was actually him in my head. But Alice would see if something was going to happen. Was she even looking for my future anymore?

When we got close to the house, Sam came out to meet us, and the rest followed him. "Guys, Jake's got something." Sam muttered, and Emily stepped forward with curious eyes. Like me, she relied on being told things, not having the special gift of being in someone's thoughts.

"I know what the redhead wants." Jacob informed them as he pursed his lips, and I sighed softly, pulling my hand free from his and crossing my arms over my chest.

"And?" Jared asked as he stared at Jacob, his eyes squinting in suspense, and I could only guess Jacob was trying his damn hardest to keep them out of his head.

"She is trying to avenge her mate—only it wasn't the leech with the dreadlocks we killed." He explained as he looked between his packs. "The Cullens got her mate last year, and now she's after Ana." He explained as his eyes hesitantly drifted over to me.

Emily's eyebrows furrowed, crossing her arms over her chest as she took another step forward. "She's just a girl." She said softly as she shook her head before looking over at me, a look of pity in her eyes. My life was a pitiful thing indeed.

"Yeah, it's kind of an eye for an eye thing." I explained as I shrugged my shoulders, and all of them turned to look at me in confusion. "Edward killed someone she loves, so now..." I muttered, and my sentence drifted off. They understood. I took a deep breath and rolled my eyes. "Well, I don't think she got the message yet." I added softly.

Laurent was right. How much could Edward love me if he just left me? He could say it was for my safety, but that didn't seem all that true, now did it? He was gone, and I was in danger.

"Excellent." Paul called out as he clasped his hands together, and all his confused eyes turned towards him. "If the redhead's after Ana, we've got bait." He insisted, and my eyes widened and my lips parted.

Jacob shot forward. "She is not bait!" He screamed at Paul as he clenched his fists by his sides, and Sam stepped between them, pushing Jacob aside before he could start another fight.

I glared at Paul, my eyes squinting. "Say that again, asshole." I spat in a low voice. "Charlie and the hunting party are after wolves, and I can always tell them about the little aggressive gray one. That ones the problem, not the rest." I spat at him, and he let out a low growl.

Emily let out a small chuckle. "Oh, I like her." She commented as she grinned in my direction, and Embry laughed as he nodded in agreement.

Paul glared at me, his lips pulling back into a snarl, and Sam pushed his chest, almost immediately calming Paul down. I sighed softly, turning to look at Jacob. "I should leave town." I muttered softly as I thought back to spring, when I had run from James.