•The hunt•

XXXIII

XXXIII. The hunt.

My fear grew stronger as I saw three silliottes step out of the treeline. Edward wrapped a protective arm around my waist, pulling me in close to his side. The rest of the Cullen family stood in front of us. Their stance was protective but not hostile. They didn't want to give the three nomads a reason to attack.

When the three got closer, I could make out more of them. Two men and one woman. The woman was pale, with curly, bright red hair. She wore an expensive-looking white fur coat and loads of jewelry. The second, and seemingly the leader as he walked ahead in the middle, was a black man with long dreadlocks. His muscular body was exposed through his unbuttoned shirt and coat. The second was a pale man with long blonde hair tied to the back.

All three of them had one strikingly familiar feature that I picked up on once they were close enough. Their eyes were a bright red. Edward had once explained their eyes to me when I was over for a piano lesson.

Vampires who had recently fed on animal blood had light honey-golden colored eyes. Vampires who had recently fed on human blood had bright crimson eyes. And the longer their last feeding was, the darker their eyes got, until it was nearly black.

These three...their eyes were the brightest crimson red I'd ever seen.

The three stopped in front of the Cullen family, not looking hostile and not suspicious yet. "I believe this belongs to you." The leader spoke up as he raised Alice's baseball, flashing a friendly smile. His accent sounded French, a beautiful sound for a man with such devilish eyes.

He tossed the ball and Carlisle caught it, feigning the smallest smile. "Thank you." He spoke in a low voice.

"I'm Laurent." The leader introduced himself before nodding his head towards the woman. "This is Victoria." he introduced and she flashed a smile. Laurent nodded his head towards the other man. "And James." He introduced. I glanced at James, meeting his gaze. His head tilted to the side as he stared at me.

I swallowed back my fear as my eyes drifted away from him. I tried to be as subtle as possible, not wanting to draw any attention to myself. Edward's grip on me tightened and I immediately sensed something was wrong. I didn't let it show, I kept my face neutral.

"I'm Carlisle, and this is my family." Carlisle introduced himself before looking around at the rest of us. He didn't name any names or draw any attention to anyone.

"Hello," Laurent greeted and his voice almost sounded sweet. But those grimson eyes reminded me he was everything but. Somewhere between Forks and the border, lay a dead, mangled body, drained from all its blood. They...they were the ones killing the people of Forks. The ones Charlie had been hunting before the Kitsap County Sheriff took over.

"I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us," Carlisle told them, confirming what I had thought.

Laurent raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Our apologies." He said sincerely. "We didn't realize the territory had been claimed," he informed the Cullen family.