•From a distance•

LII

LII. From a distance.

The whole, extremely small, police force of Forks was out searching for the wolves, and a few towns people volunteered,  but no one on La Push, were of any help. They found tracks and giant paw prints that confirmed my story, but they never found the wolves. They searched for days, but nothing. 

Laurant's head didn't pop around any corner, and Victoria didn't pop her head around any corner either. I was still on my guard, regardless of whether Laurent or Victoria were around. I was hopeful that the wolves had ripped that red-eyed beast apart. He looked scared of them, even though I couldn't understand why.

For days I still tried to reach Jacob, but still no one picked up my calls or replied to my voicemails. Friday afternoon, after my shift at the store, I got home in an already terrible mood. Ever since that night at the movies, Mike has been a sulking child who barely spoke five words to me, and all of them were in a snippy manner.

I took a chance and dailed the Black's residence from the house phone. It went straight to voicemail once again, and I huffed softly. "Jake, please answer the phone." I pleaded in frustation as I ran a hand over my face before slamming the phone down. My mom came into the kitchen to see what the noise was, her eyebrows furrowed. "Mom, have you heard anything from the Blacks yet?" I asked her as I raised my eyebrows.

She pouted her lips out into a frown as she crossed her arms over her chest, leaning with her shoulder against the archway. "No, I haven't talked with Billy since last time." She told me as she shook her head.

"Oh," I whispered as I sighed, sitting down in one of the chairs by the kitchen island, running a hand through my hair. Could mono last this long? Where did Jacob even get mono?

"Why?" My mom asked as she walked over to the coffee pot, pouring us both a cup as she looked over at me with curious eyes.

"Nothing." I replied softly as I shook my head, pursing my lips tightly as I crossed my arms on top of the table.

"Ana, what's wrong?" My mom asked, her eyebrows deeply furrowing as she placed a mug of coffee in front of me, standing on the opposite side of the kitchen island.

I sighed softly, scratching the side of my head before leaning my cheek onto my hand. "I'm just worried about Jake." I muttered softly as my cheeks puffed out and my lips pouted.

"I'm sure he'll be all better soon." My mom assured me as she reached out and patted my arm before she sipped on her warm coffee.

"Yeah..." I muttered softly, not sure if I believed her. The last time a boy ignored my texts and calls, he disappeared from my life, and my heart was still scarred by the whole event. I wasn't sure if my heart or mind would be able to take it. Jacob was the one person who truly managed to get the old Ana back. Jessica and Angela had a hand in it too, but spending the afternoons with Jacob distracted me a lot from all that hurt.