•Music•

XXVII

XXVII. Music.

After showing me the second floor, Edward led me up another flight of stairs, up to the third floor. Right next to the stairs, was a big display of different colors of caps on the wall. I paused on the steps, staring at the display with furrowed eyebrows. "Graduation caps?" I asked softly.

Edward smiled as he leaned with his shoulder against the wall. "A private joke," he replied and my head tilted in confusion as I stared at him. "We matriculate a lot," he explained as a smirk tugged at his lips.

I raised my eyebrows, letting out a huff of air from my lips. "What a nightmare, repeating high school," I muttered softly as I slowly shook my head.

Edward hummed, nodding his head as he placed his hand on the small of the back and led me further up the stairs. "True, but the younger we start out in a new place, the longer we can stay there." He explained as he led me down a hallway.

"It must be so hard living like this," I whispered as I glanced at him, my lips pouted into a frown and my eyebrows were still deeply furrowed.

He nodded his head, eyebrows furrowing as his gaze diverted down to the floor. "It's why we don't really make friends." He explained softly as he shook his head. "It's safer for us, and easier to say goodbye." He continued.

Something inside my chest ached at his words. Say goodbye. One day I was going to have to say goodbye to Edward. Even if we were soulmates, how much of a life could we possibly have together? I was going to grow older and he'd stay his youthful self forever. And like he has just said...eventually they were going to leave Forks. Leave me. For now, all I could do was enjoy however much time I had with him.

Edward glanced at me with a concerned look, his eyebrows furrowing again. I offered him a small smile before my gaze diverted, but I knew he could sense something was wrong. Thankfully, he figured not to ask questions.

He turned a corner and led me into a room at the end of the hallway "And this is my room." he informed me.

I let my eyes drift over the room. There was a closet on the wall next to the door, and a long shelf of books, CDs, and vinyl records on another wall. One other wall had large windows and the the last of the four walls had two opened glass doors. The was a single lounge chair next to the large window and a few pieces of decorations stood around.

I was immediately drawn to the shelf of books and music. I looked through his vinyl records. His collection sprawled from old to modern music, every genre there was. "You have really good music taste." I complimented him with a smile before I let my eyes drift over the room once again. "You don't have a bed," I noted as my eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I don't sleep," Edward informed me as he pursed his lips, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

My head snapped towards him. My lips parted in shock as I silently stared at him for a second. "Ever?" I questioned softly as I raised my eyebrows, confused and shocked by his words.