•Thoughts•

IV

IV. Thoughts.

The windows of the truck were rolled all the way down, and soft music filled the space surrounding me and Jacob. We drove down a long stretch of road next to the beach. I could smell the salt in the air, hear the waves crashing, and feel the cold breeze against my cheeks. It sent chills down my spine. The kind that was always a welcome feeling because you knew whatever was causing them, was good.

"So how was your first day?" Jacob asked as he turned to look at me, tucking a loose strand of his long black hair behind his ear, but the wind just blew it out of place again.

"It wasn't that bad actually," I replied with a small shrug of my shoulders, thinking back to my first day. While Edward Cullen still had me on the edge of my seat, waiting for him to grace me with his presence once again, and his siblings still gawked at me whenever I was near, everything else was good.

"Made lots of new friends?" Jacob asked as he raised his eyebrows, throwing his arm out the open window and letting his hand drift with the wind that passed outside. The wind wasn't that strong against his hand, because the truck didn't really go that fast.

"There are a few nice kids," I replied as I nodded my head, smiling at the thought of the friends I had made. My thoughts went to the boys and I chuckled softly. "Although, they're a bit strange," I muttered, solely referring to the three boys. Angela and Jessica were great.

Jacob chuckled awkwardly along as he nodded his head. There was silence between me and him for half of a second before he spoke again. "Do you miss home yet?" He asked, and I could feel his eyes on the side of my face, never diverting, never looking away. Openly staring.

I pursed my lips. I hadn't had much time to think of home, but with the reminder, I missed it. "Yeah, a lot," I muttered softly as I nodded my head. I made a note to reach out to my friend when I got home. Since arriving in Forks, I have talked with them only twice. A soft sigh slipped from my lips. "But my mom needed this move."

Jacob nodded in understanding, his gaze diverting away from me for only a second before returning again. "It's really nice that you're trying for her." He replied in a soft tone of voice.

I glanced over at him for a brief second, a small smile spreading onto my face. "I'd do anything for her," I replied honestly with a shrug of my shoulders as my attention turned back to the road. "She's all I have left," I muttered softly, fighting my hardest to push the thoughts of my father out of my head.

"Do you still have family in Phoenix?" Jacob asked with curiosity as he looked at me.

"No," I replied with a shake of my head as I pursed my lips again. "Both my mom and dad's family lived here," I explained, taking in a sharp breath and letting out a heavy sigh. "Some moved away...some died," I added as I shrugged my shoulders.

There wasn't much family left on my mom's side and the family on my dad's side all grew quieter and quieter in the two years after his death. It was all cousins, uncles and aunts. No grandparents to keep the family together anymore.