• chapter nine •

The house felt different like the soul had been sucked out of it. Every corner or room that she once felt safe in didn't feel that way anymore. Especially her room, the room that Susannah had spent time working out the unique way of everyone having their room and decorating to their personality. One thing that struck Bre's heart in her room was the photo wall, it had photos going back to when they were kids. And the newest addition was her and Conrad at the Deb Ball.

The bed wasn't made like it usually was when she arrived and her bag was dumped on the floor and she didn't have any energy to unpack it. Her sheets were neatly folded on her dresser something Susannah would've done after everyone left last summer. Making her bed she noticed that even though they weren't there for the summer or to have a normal moment she found comfort in being there.

She could sleep for hours in that bed and that's just what she did. It was the first time since Susannah had passed and she and Conrad broke up she slept through the night without waking up. Her room would be her haven no matter what she was doing in her life.

Belly and Jeremiah had decided to go to the Store and secretly see Aunt Julia, while Bre slept but what they didn't account for was Conrad being at the house as well.

For a moment when Bre woke up she'd forgotten that Susannah had died and this wasn't any other summer. Looking through the cupboards there was nothing.

Until she saw the note pinned to the fridge:

Gone to the store :)
Jere&Bells

Bre sighed as she read it because all she wanted was food and she wasn't gonna get that for a while.

"Hey" Bre said noticing Conrad come down the stairs.

"Hey" Conrad said not even looking up from his phone. He was dressed in what looked like surfing attire. Bre missed that, spending time together as friends.

"You going for a surf?" Bre asked trying to break the silence.

"Yeah the waves look pretty good" Conrad said bluntly. Bre had a pit in her stomach every time she spoke to him. She had so much to say but not enough words to say it with.

"I um joined the surf team at college so I'm okay now" Bre said looking out at the ocean.

"Yeah I remember you saying," Conrad said finally looking up from his phone. His eyes were bluer than normal and his hair fell just over his eyes, but it was enough to see them.

"I'm gonna go have a shower" Bre said taking her attention off his face.

"Do you want to join if you want? I was your teacher first if I remember" Conrad said putting his phone on the side. It was a relief to him putting it down.

"Um sure, I'll see if I have my swimsuit with me," Bre said heading upstairs.

"There's some of your clothes in the closet by the bathroom" Conrad said brushing the back of his head. Bre smiled before heading up and finding the bag. It had some of her old clothes that didn't fit and the clothes she left at the end of summer. She'd left a spare change so if she came back to visit she'd have clothes which she a few times.

Bre didn't waste any time getting changed and heading back downstairs. Conrad had waited though, Bre had a thought in her head for a second that he'd head out without her but he didn't.

Bre borrowed Jere's surfboard like usual and Conrad used his own. Conrad and Bre were always good with talking to each other but this time they had found a new comfort in silence.