~ chapter 3 ~

The day continued like it usually did, they all got ready for a big dinner that Susannah had been preparing all day and they all sat down and spoke about their year and their plans for the summer.

But Bre didn't want to do that this year. She didn't want to sit at a table reminiscing about previous summers when this is the last one. The last one was with Susanah, and Bre didn't want to fake being happy. She was gonna lose Susannah.

"Hey Laurel, I'm gonna go for a drive. I saw a help wanted sign on Whale of a Tale book store so thought id see what I need to do" Bre said walking into the Kitchen.

"We are about to eat Dinner Bre, can't you go tomorrow?" Laurel asked.

"I'd rather go now, as then I can start tomorrow," Bre said bluntly.

"Let her go Laur we can save her some" Susanah said.

Susannah always seemed to give Laurel more of a level head. You could tell they had been best friends for years by the way they balanced each other out.

Bre wasn't going to ask about the Job she just didn't want to be at the dinner, she didn't want to hide from everyone Susannah was sick. Not when everyone was so happy she beat cancer the last time. The other question that was spiralling around was who else knew.

The drive to the bookstore was sort of calming for Bre, she could think in the silence. Her thoughts finally made sense. But what she was going to do was the one question she didn't know whether to answer.

The bookstore was one of those cute ones from small towns and it was just want Bre needed this summer, a peaceful part-time job.

"Hi, I saw the help wanted sign. I want to apply?" Bre said walking up to the young man standing at the till.

"Hi, what's your name?" He asked, his voice soft.

"Breanna Conklin, Im just here for the summer" Bre said nearly going off on one about her life but stopped herself before it go too boring.

"Can you start tomorrow? We have a lot of book launches so getting you in as soon as possible would be helpful" He said after writing down my name.

"Yeah sounds good" Bre said looking around.

"Are you new here this summer? I've never seen you around" He asked intrigued.

"I am a regular during the summer, I stay with the Fishers," Bre said awkwardly.

"I used to surf with Jeremiah and Conrad" He said finally putting two and two together. "My name is Finley by the way most people call me Finn though" He said smiling.

The two teenagers stood in silence for a moment.

"What do I need to bring tomorrow?" Bre asked getting back to the reason why she is there, to begin with.

"Just yourself...and your favourite book if you have it with you," Finn said so politely.

"Got it, I will see you tomorrow" Bre said turning to leave.

"There's this bonfire party tonight if you wanted to come, I can introduce you to the other people who work here. Other than me and my parents" Finn said laughing.