• chapter eight •

"So this is why you haven't answered any of my phone calls, and texts?" Jeremiah asked, Conrad finally took his eyes off Bre and she felt like she could breathe again.

"Jere, Jere. Did you not hear what I just said? We're going to lose this house. Mom's house." Conrad said.

"Why would your dad sell this house?" Belly asked she was just as confused and uncomfortable in this situation as anyone else.

"He's not, our aunt Julia is," Conrad said, Bre could tell he was hiding what he truly felt.

"Sussanahs Sister?" Bre asked again Conrad not even looking at her. Bre felt a wave of guilt wash over her, she'd never intended for their relationship to turn this sour.

"Half-Sister, Apparently the house belonged to the both of them. And when Mom...Now Aunt Julia owns the whole thing so..." Conrad said looking down at the floor. It was something he did when he got overwhelmed, a way to calm himself down without drawing attention to himself.

"Okay, we'll just call Dad and figure something out," Jere said optimistically. Jere never knew how his father was, he'd never had to learn the harsh lessons of who he was.

"That's it! Do you think I haven't already done that? He says the house is legally hers" Conrad said looking at Jere, Bre knew this was more than just the house between the two boys.

"Then he'll buy it," Jeremiah said naively.

"He doesn't have the money, between Brown and Medical bills and the.." Conrad said.

"Yeah, I know how much the medical bills cost because I was there" Jeremiah spat.

"Jere don't start that" Bre said standing forward, noticing the tensions rising.

"How long did you know about this and not tell me?" Jeremiah asked making the room fall silent.

"Jere this was all happening so fast. I was going to tell you after I'd taken care of it" Conrad said rubbing his head.

" And this is taking care of it? Going AWOL, ditching school, not talking to us" Jere said motioning to Bre and Belly.

"Fuck school, I don't care," Conrad said annoyed.

"Connie, you have to go back or you'll fail your class. How are you going to become a Doctor if you fail out of college, Conrad?" Bre asked, he didn't expect her to mention that or even say anything to him because this was between him and Jeremiah.

"You have no idea what you're talking about," Conrad said looking at her. it wasn't the soft look he'd given her months prior but a look you give a stranger the first time you meet them.

"We went to Brown to check on your ass. You know what I didn't think you'd pull this shit again. But you don't give a shit about anyone but yourself." Jeremiah snapped before heading upstairs followed by Belly. Finn awkwardly stood looking between the two before heading out to his car.

"Sorry if me being here is weird for you, so the house is for sale," Bre said awkwardly.

"The house is for sale and Jere doesn't even care" Conrad said walking over to the fireplace and stretching out his arm to lean on the wall.