~ chapter 1~

Breanna Conklin was just another kid, well that's what she thought. Brennan was the daughter of Louis Park. He was an adventurer and an amazing dad. That's all Brennan knew from stories Laurel. She couldn't remember her father. All she knew was from age five she lived with her Auntie and Uncle and their two children; Steven and Belly.

That's all she remembers, the times with them. She always thought about how lucky she was to have this family. But the luckiest thing was her extended family at the summer house. There were five kids, and although that seems like a lot nobody ever felt left out. Breanna and Conrad were the same age then went Steven who was a year younger than me, then Jeremiah who was a year below him then the youngest was Belly. Sussanah was Conrad's and Jeremiah's Mom and to Breanna, they were the luckiest children alive.

Her favourite part of the year was summer, it was like winter didn't count.

Breanna had just graduated and she had offers from multiple colleges she had her heart set on Stanford but she wasn't quite sure if Laurel would let her go that far for college or to stay in state like she'd been telling Steven.

Breanna was never the popular girl at school or the one to have loads of friends, she had one good friend called Stella but she had gone to Europe for summer so Breanna was stuck trying to get her stuff ready without any pep talks. Unlike Belly who had Taylor. Taylor was one of those girls who to people she didn't like was the worst to them but to Breanna, she was basically another sister.

"Hey Tay," Breanna said walking into Belly's room.

"Hey Bre, you packed?" Taylor asked me.

"Just about, I'm looking for my Cousins' hoodie," She said snooping through Belly's wardrobe to see it tucked right in the back.

"Sorry, I forgot I put that there," Belly said smirking. Breanna and Belly rarely argued, and if they did it was over in a matter of seconds.

"Sure just don't touch my stuff again," She said joking, "Have a good summer Tay" Breanna said before going back to her room.

Breanna had an ache in her chest for the last few months, and it was all to do with this summer. She wasn't excited like usual. Conrad had been blanking her texts since Christmas and she didn't know how to feel about it. Part of her was broken that she didn't have Conrad at her graduation and she wasn't at his. But part of her knew that maybe they had outgrown each other, she'd found out from Laurel he had a girlfriend so maybe that was the reason but she never knew.

Knock. Knock. I looked up to see Laurel at my door with a box.

"Can I come in?" Laurel asked.

She nodded, Breanna never told anyone this but she was grateful her dad had a sister like Laurel.  Her life would've been so much different if Laurel hadn't taken her in and she knew that. Laurel saw a lot of herself in Breanna and that's what made them so close. After the divorce Laurel closed herself off until last summer when Sussanah made sure Breanna and Belly helped their mom when they got home.

Breanna had a hard time calling Laurel's mom and still does now but she makes more of an effort to do it.

"I only packed five books before you ask," She said looking at my bag lent against the door.

"I wasn't going to, I wanted to give this to you," Laurel said looking down at the dusty box.

Breanna felt a sense of Deja Vu looking at it.

"What is that?" Breanna asked.

"Your father left it for you, I was instructed to give it to you after your graduation. and you graduated a few days ago so here it is... but don't open it until we are in Cousins" Laurel said.