~ chapter 8 ~

"I heard you are doing the Deb ball" Conrad's voice appeared from behind Bre.

"Mmhm" She just wanted to read her book.

"It's so stupid that they are still doing it," Conrad said, Bre turned to look at him. He was smoking. He never smoked Bre thought.

"Well it's not stupid to me" Bre snapped.

"Sorry, I didn't know that" Conrad snapped back.

"Well what do you know, you stopped talking to me" Bre was annoyed, it came out of nowhere but she didn't want to keep doing a back and forth with him.

"You already know why" He was annoyed, you could sense it in his voice.

"Yeah I know, but Conrad what am I supposed to do now that I know? I get that it's been hard for you but I could've helped you" Bre was trying she wanted him to understand the fact he could come to her about anything.

"Well, I'm sorry I didn't want to sit there and talk about the trauma of losing a parent and the upside of it all. We all don't get to have it as good as you did" Conrad spat out. No way did he say that Bre thought.

"Fuck you!" Bre shouted, She didn't even know where she was walking she was just walking away from Conrad. He aggravated her so badly sometimes.

The walk seemed to help her rage and anger calm down. All she could think was how dare he say that how dare he bring that up. Maybe she didn't know him as well as she thought because the Conrad she knew wouldn't bring that up in an argument.

Her instinct of walking brought her back to the summer house which annoyed her because she wanted to be alone. She hated sometimes how tied to the house she felt, she couldn't even walk around without self-consciously coming back.

"Bre!" Laurel smiled when she noticed Bre walking up the drive.

"Hi" Bre couldn't help but smile, it was her normal reaction.

"You don't look very good," Laurel said leading her to the swing on the front porch.

Bre shook her head trying to hide her real feelings.

"Is it a certain Fisher?" Laurel asked, she already knew. For the kids, it felt like the mothers could read their minds sometimes.

"Mmm, you always know" Bre started laughing.

"It's my job to know. Have you spoken to him?" Laurel asked, it was difficult to know what to say to her.

"He's so angry with me, for no reason" Bre emphasised. She felt like she'd done nothing.

"You know Susannah said she hadn't seen him smile since he broke up with Aubrey until he saw you the other day," She said with the sweetest intentions but it didn't help Bre if anything it made her angrier.

"I don't know why you're telling me this"

"Because although you may think he's angry with you he isn't. Connie likes to shut people out, he's done it to Adam and now you. "Laurel softly said, she was trying to help.

"Everything is different this year" Bre started to cry, her eyes filled with water. It was like no matter how she tried to hold back her emotions and disguise them Laurel could break them done every time.

"Things change but sometimes it's for the better" Laurel whispered, It sounded to Bre like she was trying to convince herself.

Bre wanted to tell Lurel then and there she knew about Susannah but the words wouldn't come out.

"I spoke to Susannah about the Deb Ball thing, I want to do it," Bre said, She didn't know how Laurel was going to react.

"That's good because then someone can look out for Belly" Laurel said opening up her book again.