• chapter four •

"No remeber when you fell over on freshman night because you thought you saw a full moon and you wanted to take a photo" Finn said laughing. They were all sitting downstairs having a few drinks before the party and telling stories.

"You said you'd never tell that story" Bre said lightly slapping his arm as a joke.

"Sorry i definitely won't tell them about the pizza guy incident then" Finn said joking. Bre looked around to see Laurel sat at her laptop in the kitchen and went over to talk to her.

"Hey, i ordered you a pizza should be here in the next half hour" Bre said reaching into the fridge to get a bottle of water as she'd agreed to drive.

"You didn't have to do that" Laurel said not even looking up from her laptop.

"Well you need to eat, plus Steven will probabaly be hungry when he gets back later" Bre said smiling.

Laurel smiled and looked up from her Laptop. To Laurel, Breanna had always been her daughter. But now looking at her she was an adult. She could see life weighing on her, the bags under her eyes were bigger than usual, her skin looked more tan than usual and her body looked thinner. It was like she'd gone to college and come back a different person.

"I read your essay, the one about grief" Laurel said, she flapped down her laptop and was giving Bre her attention.

"You did?" Bre asked shocked but happy she'd read something she wrote at college.

"Yeah it was a bit soon don't you think?" Laurel snapped. Breanna had wrote an essay about grief to go in a newspaper for her college for the end of her first semester. It was something she was honoured to do especially because Laurel was a writer.

"I wrote that back in November and i asked about it multiples then and you didn't have an issue with it. It wasn't something i wrote about Susannah or grieving her. It was about grieving a past self and past trauma. Not everything has to do what that" Bre angrily said. She had enough of being belittled and hurt by those she loves the most.

Bre didn't even look back at Laurel she headed straight back to the living room where everyone was silent. She tried to hide the tears in her eyes by grabbing her coat and picking up the keys.

"You all ready?" Breanna said confidently. She was ready to let loose. And hopefully forget about everything...

"Yep let's go" Finn said grabbing her hand and heading to the car. He could sense she needed to go.

As soon as they all piled into Bre's car. It was one she'd bought before she left for college with a bit of the money her dad left her, it was a nice car one the Conklin siblings weren't used to. Belly had been using it while she was at college. Bre turned the music up loud and just drove. Driving had become an escape for her when she'd visit home.

Steven had managed to navigate her there between the loud music and her chaotic driving.

"Bre it's the next house there" Steven said looking up from his phone.

"I haven't driven in so long" Bre said pulling up on the side of the road.

"Yeah we can tell Ana" Finn said smiling.

"Don't call me that" Bre snapped looking out at the house. She was taken aback by that nickname. One she thought was buried.

Finn didn't say anything just got out the car and followed the others into the house. Bre found her way to the drinks table and poured herself a drink forgetting she was meant to be the sober driver. Bre kept on refilling her cup again and again. And slowly she was feeling the influence of the alcohol on her.